Logo

1982 90hp evinrude

casualfisherman

Motor has been setting up for about 3 years with bad fuel. Sense I have purchased it I have drained the fuel out and replaced it with fresh fuel. It want to run rough and I was wondering if I just need to run it or get the carbs cleaned.

I would rebuild the carburetors if it was mine. I'd also replace the fuel filter, primer bulb and the fuel lines. It's been my experience that you'll end up chasing fuel problems when you should be boating. If the previous owner used Ethanol gas your fuel system could be in bad shape.

Put some Seafoam in the gas to help clean up the fuel system.
Bill

Sitting for a long time, especially with bad gas causes the carburetor to foul, clog, and gum. This results in a lean running engine if the engine is able to run..... not good!

Clean and rebuild the carburetors with kits. Pay particular attention to the small "off center brass tubes" located in the vertical high speed nozzles and, also the high speed jets (2 to a carb) located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber... way in back of the drain screw plugs.

Clean that small tube and the jets with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

The motor is running, just runs a little rough. I really have not done any work on it just put clean fuel and run it. I have never worked on a outboard motor so this job may be headed to the shop.

Back