Logo

Help identifying a 9.9 or 15 HP outboard

BEFU

I recently picked up an outboard without much information at a garage sale. Supposed to be a 9.9, maybe a 15? It is an OMC brand which from everything I have read is an Johnson Evinrude motor.

So first, is this the correct forum?

Second, what do I have?

Then I look for parts to complete it and manuals and such.

Had an 115 OB on a ski boat over a decade ago before kids. This is my first OB since then and hoping for a project with my children.

Thank you in advance for any help, Brian
IMG_12911_zps7b270705.jpg

Did you figure out what you have?
Look on the side of the transom bracket for model and serial numbers.

I recently picked up an outboard without much information at a garage sale. Supposed to be a 9.9, maybe a 15? It is an OMC brand which from everything I have read is an Johnson Evinrude motor.

So first, is this the correct forum?

Second, what do I have?

Then I look for parts to complete it and manuals and such.

Had an 115 OB on a ski boat over a decade ago before kids. This is my first OB since then and hoping for a project with my children.

Thank you in advance for any help, Brian
View attachment 9528

No I did not. I will try to look for stampings on the side of the bracket. I was more looking for an ID plate of any kind. Maybe I missed something obvious like stampings in the casting material.

Thanks for the heads up. Glad to know it is a 1993 and newer model, it looks to be in clean shape.

If there's no ID plate on the transom bracket, look for the ID disc on the engine block. The disc looks like a big welch plug, and should be located up near the top of the block on the starboard side. It will have the OMC logo on it, as well as 2 rows of letters/numbers. The top row is your model number, and will tell you everything about your outboard.

If there's no ID plate on the transom bracket, look for the ID disc on the engine block. The disc looks like a big welch plug, and should be located up near the top of the block on the starboard side. It will have the OMC logo on it, as well as 2 rows of letters/numbers. The top row is your model number, and will tell you everything about your outboard.

Had a closer look at your pics, I can see the ID disc in the photo which shows the starboard side.

Last edited:
Thank you, that helps. will check tonight.

I have a picture of the other side of the motor where it looks like I am missing a bolt on piece. Any idea what goes there where the paint is missing? Three bolt holes.

Stamped number on the side of the carb is 340629 was the other info I found, but the ID plug is my best lead yet.
OMC missing piece pic.jpg

I have a couple of those blocks / engines on the work bench.-------I do not think anything is missing there.----I will have a look see.

Thank you, that helps. will check tonight.

I have a picture of the other side of the motor where it looks like I am missing a bolt on piece. Any idea what goes there where the paint is missing? Three bolt holes.

Stamped number on the side of the carb is 340629 was the other info I found, but the ID plug is my best lead yet.
View attachment 10598

IMG_2111.jpg
So here is the head plug / slug. G4537145 I guess that is the serial number.

The carburetor # 340629 from what I found online is off a 9.9 HP.
It is a 1993 to 2001 two stroke 9.9 HP motor. (or later, but production ended around 2001)
The three bolt holes were in fact for the electric start option, which this one did not have. The start solenoid is not there either, so only a pull start. Just glad it is not missing anything.
The top cowl is missing, one of the two pieces I guess I still need.
The tiller arm is missing, but the throttle cable and kill switch for lanyard are all there. What year did they add the lanyards?

At least I now know what I have, or close to it!

????-------Not sure where you are researching this.--------These motors were made up to 2007 the last year that BRP marketed the Johnson brand.--------------Your motor is at least a 97 or newer based on what I see in your pictures.

????-------Not sure where you are researching this.--------These motors were made up to 2007 the last year that BRP marketed the Johnson brand.--------------Your motor is at least a 97 or newer based on what I see in your pictures.

Read it on the internet by George Washington, so you know you can trust it! Just a review of the motor series. Said that production on these was supposed to end around 2001 due to epa regulations and going to 4 stroke, but that stock continue to sell for several years after that, up to around 2007. Sounds like something the EPA would mandate, and then production runs a bunch to stock up before the manufacturing deadline to sell off for years. Either way, it lets me know what it is. Mid 90's to early 2000's 9.9 OMC outboard, pull start in good condition.

I have something to go on now, that was my desired starting point. I found a guy that should have the parts to finish it, or trade it to him for another project. Either way, I will be off and running on another boat project. Something to take my time away from my 272 Formula.

Thank you all for the help, what a wonderful forum!

Brian

update on this. Ended up not trading the motor in, but not doing much with this either. Still, got it running. Bought one new spark plug since one had a cracked top on it. Both looked to be the original spark plugs from the black overspray paint on them and looked to be in perfect condition. Electrode edges are like new, good sign. Put the plugs back in after gapping them, bought a fuel fitting from walmart to hook to the outboard, pushed a piece of fuel line on it and put that in a mason jar with some 2 cycle gas. After a few pulls, it coughed to life. shifts forward and reverse, choke works, throttle works, pumps water well.

Still need a cowl, but now that it runs I will look for that. Also need a tiller arm unless I hook it up to a remote setup, but since I do not have anything other than a canoe to use it in, I think I need the tiller arm!

Thanks all for the help, great group.

Going to put a post on the facebook powerboat for sale group and see if anyone has anything. Also watch ebay.

Back