Logo

Swap Lower Unit From E10SELETB (9.9hp) onto BJ8RCEC (8hp)

Zac Penn

My 89 Johnson 8hp got in a fight with some lines at our dock and the motor will no longer push or pull my sailboat. The motor itself is fine, but something got broke in the lower unit. I am waiting on a progress report from my dad, who is disassembling the lower unit, to see if he can find what has broken.

In the meantime, I found a 93 Evinrude 9.9hp on craigslist that was submerged for an undetermined amount of time (so the motor is junk) but he claims the lower unit is without water in the gear oil.

The current 8HP's 15" shaft does work on my small sailboat (Chrysler 22) but it could definitely benefit from the 20" shaft on the 9.9hp motor. When the water is choppy the exhaust comes out of the water and we loose power during the bigger waves.

Will this swap be possible?
If so will I have all the parts necessary for the swap with the two motors?

Thank you kindly for any help,
Zac

Look up the parts on both engines. If the housings are the same and 20 inch shafts have the same #, then you are good to go. The parts lists show a 20 inch for both engines. good luck.

I managed to get time to check some part #'s and your year and model # on the 9.9 doesn't match up. You may need to look again.

Your model # doesn't appear to be valid. Go to Marineengine.com/parts and you can look up parts and diagrams for most any OMC engine.

Last edited:
Back