Logo

2002 honda 225hp when i turn battery on it chirps before turning key

mikestephsasha

I have an electrical question , I have 1200 hrs on a 2002 Honda 225. It has been running great and continues to run great however. I got my lower unit stuck on a lobster pot and i used the trim to get the lower unit out of the water to get line off. the trim was under a little strain but not much. When I went to start it again I turned the key to do the system check and no beep , the battery light was on, i turned the key and it started and ran fine. I got to my mooring shut off the engine and then the battery switch. I turned the battery switch back on and it beeped twice (without turning the key) like it was doing a system check . I shut off the battery and pulled all the fuses on the engine to check to see if i had blown a fuse, all were good. Turned the battery on again (beeps went away) turn the key and got the 2 beeps again and started fine, called it day.

I returned 2 days later. It initially worked as it should .I shut it down at the end of day and tried it again to make sure, same double beep as i throw battery switch but starts fine.

I'm going to check battery connections today but any other ideas are appreciated.

mike

something related to power supply, check for tight battery terminals.and battery wire .turn ignition switch keep on and turn steering to both side or shake your battery wire, while doing that if you can hear beep sound,it is loose connection.

wajira

I suspect there is a problem in your key switch. When you got a beep by turning on the battery, with the key switch off, did you get two beeps, or just a single beep?

I suspect there is a problem in your key switch. When you got a beep by turning on the battery, with the key switch off, did you get two beeps, or just a single beep?

I got two beeps like I normally would when I turn the key.

I think your both right ,hopefully just a loose wire or connection . hopefully get down there this weekend to figure it out.
thanks
mike

First thing I would do is turn the battery off and shoot a couple of squirts of WD40 into the key slot. Insert key and work it through it's range a few times. That may break up any corrosion on the key terminals.

First thing I would do is turn the battery off and shoot a couple of squirts of WD40 into the key slot. Insert key and work it through it's range a few times. That may break up any corrosion on the key terminals.

tried this yesterday everything worked as it should until I noticed the tach wasn't on and vhf didn't work. I must have a bad connection or ground somewhere , ill search more today.

thanks
mike

Yep. Let us know what you find.

I would not wire the VHF to the key switch for two reasons - 1. Some of them draw a lot of current. 2. You want the VHF to operate even if your key switch is off - it's a safety issue. On my boat I have run separate wiring directly from the "house" battery switch position to a terminal buss under my console using 10 gauge wire. From that bus, I run my VHF radios, MAP/GPS, sonar, windless, lights, etc. etc. All are fused on a separate rocker panel switch buss. The key switch can be off, but all of that runs unless I turn off the battery switch.

It's relatively easy to do, it's the safest way to wire things up, and it allows for the easy addition of electronic gear.

Yep. Let us know what you find.

I would not wire the VHF to the key switch for two reasons - 1. Some of them draw a lot of current. 2. You want the VHF to operate even if your key switch is off - it's a safety issue. On my boat I have run separate wiring directly from the "house" battery switch position to a terminal buss under my console using 10 gauge wire. From that bus, I run my VHF radios, MAP/GPS, sonar, windless, lights, etc. etc. All are fused on a separate rocker panel switch buss. The key switch can be off, but all of that runs unless I turn off the battery switch.

It's relatively easy to do, it's the safest way to wire things up, and it allows for the easy addition of electronic gear.

This is how my boat is wired a I think I found my problem. I took off and cleaned all my battery terminals (didn't work) . Then I started with the basics ... why my radio doesn't work with battery switch on. The ground running from my Buss terminal to the switch selector had some play in it when I jiggled it at the battery selector switch , I cleaned and tightened it up and the problem has gone away and all electronics are working again. I was out for 7 hours last yesterday pulling my lobster pots then fishing with no issues. I hope it continues.
thanks to all who helped
mike

make sure all the electric connection,wires,battery terminals are fixed properly and no chance to get loose,because in the sea still it can get loose with waves,

cheers ...............!

wajira

So...chawk_man...how do YOU pronounce windlass?

Do YOU say "W EYE ND lass"? or "W IND lass"?

Just curious :~)

Jimmy - you're pulling my leg! This ole country boy is about the last person you ever want to ask about proper pronunciation! But I always pronounce it the way it's written - WIND LASS (or LESS) with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Pulling??? well...yeah...kind of! But! The guy that taught me how to sail always said W-EYE-ND LESS...even if it was the kind with no motor! Just getting another informed opinion from an experienced waterman,
:~)
Cheers SIR!

Back