Logo

360 Engine Temps.. plus thank you

kcdbrian

First I'd like to thank the regular contributors of this board. The knowledge you share really helps and is appreciated. I've learned alot from this board.

My question is - I've seen a 10 degree increase on both my port and starboard engines pretty much at the same time when running at 3k. They both heat up to 160 and stay there at idle, but head towards 200 when at 3,000 RPMS, which according to the Chrysler manual is the high end of temps for my full fresh water system. Any ideas? I took the raw water connections off the transmission coolers and they were clear of any debris.

Thanks again -Brian

IF your gages are correct, that's WAY too hot for RWCooled engines. (My 360s never see 160 degrees.)

Do you have FWCooled t-stats in there by accident? They run much hotter.

Jeff

Brian, when you say "FW cooled", are you referring to Closed Cooling systems?
If so, the 160 degree thermostats should not be an issue.
The thermostats simply hold back coolant until engine temperatures dictate when they will open and release coolant as required.

If your seawater supply is good, there should be more than enough seawater to remove the engine heat from the ethylene glycol mixture.

Possible issues:

H/E tube bundles on the seawater side (tube bundle ID) have become restricted, and need to be "rodded" out.

H/E tube bundles on the ethylene glycol side (tube bundle exteriors) have a build-up of rust scale debris or sediment around them, and need professional attention.

was having temp issues all last season, over winter took heat exchangers to local radiator guy who " boiled them out" cool running all this season. was worth the money...also check things like belt tension, slipping belt will not run pump at full rpm thus not full flow.

please let us know what the solution was.

Back