Logo

Alpha One Outdrive Gen II MAJOR STEERING ISSUES, please help!

josh.keadle

Okay, so I am new to this forum thing, but I need a lot of help.

I have a 1999 Regal with a Mercruiser 5.0l EFI motor, and the Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive. I recently have taken it to a boat service shop for a slight leak in the outdrive (which was fxed by him) but I also wanted him to check my steering. I had him check my steering because when we were trying to trailer the boat the steering felt as if it would just turn left or right on its own. Also, when driving the boat it will not turn to the right really well.

So, after talking to Fred (The Boat Shop owner), he tells me that I need to replace the steering pin, the gimble ring, the steering arm, and a couple other things. He tells me to replace all of those items that the price of the parts alone will cost me $1400, plus there will be 14 hours of labor, which will run me a grand total of $1900-$2400. I asked him how detrimental this would be if I would just finish up the summer, and use the boat like I have been since I have bought the boat. He told me that if I hit a big enough wake that the steering pin could stick, and throw everyone off of my boat.

The reason why I am writing this in the forum is for 1.) Could it really happen where it would throw everyone off of my boat? 2.) Does this price sound reasonable? I have looked on ebay and have found stainless steel steering pins, and gimble rings for less already. 3.) How long would this job take on average with a person that has a little bit of experience turning a wrench?

I bought the boat for $4000 (I got a good deal on it, I THOUGHT!) and if I can do it for substantially less, then that would obviously be the better option. Please respond to this forum, I could really use some guidance with this right now!

There are many variables here...you may be experiencing torque steer while underway which can be reduced by adjusting the tab on the outdrive. I have also seen props cause torque steer. Anyway, on a 1999 model boat, would seem that if was taken care of at all.....all those components should not be bad. Maybe take a mech out on the boat with you, let him experience what you are, and get a second opinion.

There are many variables here...you may be experiencing torque steer while underway which can be reduced by adjusting the tab on the outdrive. I have also seen props cause torque steer. Anyway, on a 1999 model boat, would seem that if was taken care of at all.....all those components should not be bad. Maybe take a mech out on the boat with you, let him experience what you are, and get a second opinion.

I will do that. I know the steering pin is an issue because I can see how loose it is in the square slot. Do you think that just replacing the steering pin would cure the issue? I may try that before I purchase a new gimbal ring and all the other crap. I just don't know what all I will need to take off the outdrive (i.e. Gaskets, plastic clips, etc....) to just replace the steering pin. I have watched several videos of people doing it, and it doesn't seem terribly hard. I just want to make sure I have all of the proper replacement parts prior to taking it all apart!

What is needed is a picture of the transom assembly on the back side of the boat, Where the outdrive is.

If you go to the outdrive and try to push it left or right there should be NO movement. if there is then you have to be sure you are not moving the steering linkage. what you are looking for is slop at the steering pin at the top of the GIMBAL RING.

In the pic I included is the gimbal ring and transom mount (1/2 the outside part of two parts, the other is on the inside)

See the split at the top of the gimbal ring? See the square pin? That square pin fits into the gimbal rings square hole.

if the slop between the gimbal rings square hole and the steering pins square body is too great then the steering will wonder all over the place.

If this is all good and there is some slop where the steering cable and steering arm from the steering pin meet then replace the pin.

It is not uncommon for the steering pin and gimbal ring to wear out if not maintained.

there are two stainless steel screws (3/8-16) (9/16") hex head. these can be tightend BUT only so much. this will squeeze/tighten the gimbal to the steering pin and reduce the slop. The screws are shoulder bolts which means they are intentionaly only have so much thread. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN past the threaded area.

Look and see and try to feel if the slop is in this location. If so your guy is correct and all that needs to be replaced.

What is needed is a picture of the transom assembly on the back side of the boat, Where the outdrive is.

If you go to the outdrive and try to push it left or right there should be NO movement. if there is then you have to be sure you are not moving the steering linkage. what you are looking for is slop at the steering pin at the top of the GIMBAL RING.

In the pic I included is the gimbal ring and transom mount (1/2 the outside part of two parts, the other is on the inside)

See the split at the top of the gimbal ring? See the square pin? That square pin fits into the gimbal rings square hole.

if the slop between the gimbal rings square hole and the steering pins square body is too great then the steering will wonder all over the place.

If this is all good and there is some slop where the steering cable and steering arm from the steering pin meet then replace the pin.

It is not uncommon for the steering pin and gimbal ring to wear out if not maintained.

there are two stainless steel screws (3/8-16) (9/16") hex head. these can be tightend BUT only so much. this will squeeze/tighten the gimbal to the steering pin and reduce the slop. The screws are shoulder bolts which means they are intentionaly only have so much thread. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN past the threaded area.

Look and see and try to feel if the slop is in this location. If so your guy is correct and all that needs to be replaced.

There is definitely slop between the steering pin and the gimbal ring. I checked it before I gave it to the boat shop guy. I wish I could take a video or picture of it, but the boat is at the shop.

Now, the 2 questions I have for you are 1.) should I replace the gimbal ring and the steering pin? Or should I replace the steering pin to see if that fixes the issue? 2.) is it safe to take on the lake until winter, or could it possibly "get stuck" like the mechanic said, and throw passengers overboard? 3.) I looked up the parts, and can get them a hell of a lot cheaper online, but do you think he is charging too much?

Thank you for the great input on this topic. I think if I do have to replace everything I will do it myself. I have watched several videos of people doing it, and it doesn't seem hard, just seems like it can take some good time!

1. both must be replaced and if they do it correctly they will pull the motor vs mercury's suggested method.
The gimbal ring is cast aluminum and the steering pin is steel...........The problem is in order to replace the gimbal ring you have to remove the steering pin at the same time so replacement is justified at that time.

2. NO it is not recommended to use in that condition..........common sense..........

3. it cost what it costs.........if you could do it yourself then it would be cheaper.........labor rates I would imagine are $100 per hour +/-

if the motor gets pulled that is a 2-3 hours for pulling and reinstalling
the gimbal replacement will take a few hours, to remove and replace all new parts......

You could be looking at 8 hours of labor if all goes well.
Parts will be at least $1500

I guessed at those numbers before reading what he quoted you.......

I have done several so it is what it is...........

so 800 + 1500 = 2300.............

1. both must be replaced and if they do it correctly they will pull the motor vs mercury's suggested method.
The gimbal ring is cast aluminum and the steering pin is steel...........The problem is in order to replace the gimbal ring you have to remove the steering pin at the same time so replacement is justified at that time.

2. NO it is not recommended to use in that condition..........common sense..........

3. it cost what it costs.........if you could do it yourself then it would be cheaper.........labor rates I would imagine are $100 per hour +/-

if the motor gets pulled that is a 2-3 hours for pulling and reinstalling
the gimbal replacement will take a few hours, to remove and replace all new parts......

You could be looking at 8 hours of labor if all goes well.
Parts will be at least $1500

I guessed at those numbers before reading what he quoted you.......

I have done several so it is what it is...........

so 800 + 1500 = 2300.............

I am not trying to be rude, but why is it common sense to pay $2400 right now? What would/could happen if I use the boat in this condition? The steering works right now, just has a little bit of play.

But it is my thinking on just replacing the steering pin, and seeing if it is loose inside the gimbal ring. Are you saying because the gimbal ring is aluminum and the steering pin is steel that the stronger metal already messed up the weaker of the metals? i.e. The steel pin is stronger than the aluminum gimbal ring.

thank you again!

From a legal point of view, when EVER the steering system is compromised and a certified marine repair business has diagnosed this they should not have given you back your boat. If you now use it and someone gets hurt as a reault of a steering issue wether or not if the steering had any fault but you said it did. The marine service business has now assumed the responsability of the boat manufactuerer in the eyes of the legal system. Because they willing knew the steering was compromosed and allowed you to use ut anyways.

I have seen similar issues before....it gets very messy and expensive.

Its your boat....do what you want....i am not your mother or father or your conscience.
If you feel it is safe to use and wont fail then have at it.

Dont look for approval here....especially from me.....you asked I answered.

Take or leave it.....your call.

Last edited:
From a legal point of view, when EVER the steering system is compromised and a certified marine repair business has diagnosed this they should not have given you back your boat. If you now use it and someone gets hurt as a reault of a steering issue wether or not if the steering had any fault but you said it did. The marine service business has now assumed the responsability of the boat manufactuerer in the eyes of the legal system. Because they willing knew the steering was compromosed and allowed you to use ut anyways.

I have seen similar issues before....it gets very messy and expensive.

Its your boat....do what you want....i am not your mother or father or your conscience.
If you feel it is safe to use and wont fail then have at it.

Dont look for approval here....especially from me.....you asked I answered.

Take or leave it.....your call.

Ghost, as I appreciate your advice, I also find some of your comments somewhat rude. People post on here because they want answers to issues. Not because they want someone to treat them like they are less significant than others. I simply asked if it would be bad to use it until the end of the summer, I didn't say you were my mom, dad, or conciense.

You said that it is common sense to do it, but common sense does not play a part in this scenario, obviously! Also, the question of it being dangerous or not has still yet to be answered!

You are asking questions that no one here can answer. You issues have to be seen first hand.
With out seeing the issue first hand what I am saying is how I see it. Err on the side of caution.

I realy dont care if you take offense on my comments. It seems clear you want some kind of approvall
And you cant get it from me.....
If it is broke.....fix it.....

Just my opinion.......

Josh, without seeing and feeling the steering system, and examining, I doubt anyone on this forum would say "its safe to drive".....it would be unethical.......and would only be a guess. You might want to take it to another known good mechanic and get another opinion. Did your mechanic exaggerate....maybe, maybe not but I would again recommend another opinion. Let us know what you end up doing.

You are asking questions that no one here can answer. You issues have to be seen first hand.
With out seeing the issue first hand what I am saying is how I see it. Err on the side of caution.

I realy dont care if you take offense on my comments. It seems clear you want some kind of approvall
And you cant get it from me.....
If it is broke.....fix it.....

Just my opinion.......

I am not asking for any sort of "approval." I am simply asking if anyone has had the same type of issues, how much it cost them, and if it was safe to take on a lake a couple more times before summer is over. As I have received several comments simply stating that they could not answer this question, I have spoken with another mechanic and he said it wouldn't hurt to take on the lake. He said the only thing that would happen is the steering would completely diminish and I would have to be towed back in.

First of all, I just wanted to make sure not to kill my kids if something bad did happen. Second of all, I wanted to find out if the price was fair that I was being quote. Lastly, I wanted to know what other parts I would need if I was putting on a new Gimbal ring, a new steering pin, and a new steering arm. I am just wondering if there is a parts list anywhere for this project to make sure I have the correct seals, plastic pieces, and whatever else I could possibly need.

I am going to fix it, and that is why I am posting on this thread. So many mechanics and people take advantage of others now, I don't want to be one of those people.

Back