Logo

Tohatsu 6 hp has hole in rocker arm

sdvp

Tohatsu 6 hp- mfs6bs, 2008 I think.
Exhaust rocker arm has a hole, see pic.
Seems like a not too difficult repair.
Any suggestions as to why this would happen
and if there are other problems lurking?

Thanks
DSCN4600sm.jpg

Replacing the rocker is not too difficult. Carefully inspect the end of the push rod; if damaged or rough, replace it as well. Also inspect the valve stem and spring for any problems. If some debris limited the valve spring, or the valve stem had a burr that caused it to "stick", the push rod may have punched through the arm. Remember to set the lash when installing the rocker. Was this motor run a lot at WOT?

Replacing the rocker is not too difficult. Carefully inspect the end of the push rod; if damaged or rough, replace it as well. Also inspect the valve stem and spring for any problems. If some debris limited the valve spring, or the valve stem had a burr that caused it to "stick", the push rod may have punched through the arm. Remember to set the lash when installing the rocker. Was this motor run a lot at WOT?

Thanks for the reply. That is what I am wondering about, what caused it, will check the valve stem and spring.

Have not run it at wot for a long while, just from boat to shore at slow to med speed, only about 1/4 mile each way.
The water pipe broke on this not too long ago and I did not notice right away so it did get hot for a while until
fixed.
It was making a loud banging noise at startup. This happened awhile back but stopped and came back recently.

Back