Logo

Honda BF130 tachometer blowing fuse

Gregbrock

Hello, first time poster (although I have learned a lot by just reading). I have a 2000 Honda 130 four stroke on my Whaler. I have never had a single issue....until last weekend.

I am really hoping some of you pros will be able to help me with my problem. I have a 10A fuse that keeps blowing. I loose power to the ignition and gauges. The first time it happened I made it about a mile from the ramp and outboard died. Figured out the fuse blew, so I replaced it with the spare. Made it about 2/3 the way back to dock, and it blew again. I got towed back to dock and bought some new fuses at the marina so I could put it back on the trailer. I started the motor and it immediately died. Then, it would blow just by turning the ignition to "on" position. Also, the tach would be pinned all the way to 6000 RPMs.

I figured out it was the tach by disconnecting it from the ignition. The fuse did not blow. I then reconnected the tach to the ignition, but disconnected the grey wire from the post on the tach labeled send". The tach now gets power (and the needle drops to 0), and the fuse does not blow.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

It sounds like the tach but it could be a a short on the grey lead.

Let's start with the tach. It you have another laying around, just try it. Most likely you don't have one....so.

If you have a multmeter compare your measurements with the following. They probably should be fairly close. If not most likely a bad tach.

The following lists the two terminals and readings with the leads on one way then reverse the leads (so two different readings for each set of two terminals).

Disconnect the other leads from the tach for a more accurate reading. Readings may vary some especially if you have a built in hour meter.

Ground post to sender/signal post 7 meg ohms and open circuit
Ground post to ignition/battery post 6 ohms and 6 ohms
Sender/signal post to ignition/battery post 7 meg ohms and open circuit

If an open circuit measures as a very low resistance, then the tach probably has an issue. Probably, the most critical measurements are those to the sender/signal post.

If your measurements vary a lot from those, then your tach is probably bad.

Mike

Thank you so much. It was a bad tach. I installed an aftermarket tach, and I am ready to go fishing. Thank you hondadude.

Last edited:
Well, I remembered after I had asked, that the previous owner repowered but left the old mercury gauges. :confused:

So I did check and the measurements were way off. Like 2.5 one way and 22 the other on the send post to ignition and worse on send to ground. I am not the best with electrical. I bought the replacement and was careful installing it in case it wasn't the problem so I could return it. Works like a charm.

Back