Logo

Johnson 50hp Engine sitting for 10 years/steering column and cables

MikeG11

New boat owner, I just bought a 1984 blazer? 15 foot bass boat, it was sitting for 10+ Apx. 50hp Johnson 2 cylinder engine. Sprayed a little wd40 in the spark plug holes, Got the fly wheel freed up, rebuilding both carbs, replacing the water and fuel pumps, everything else seems to be in good shape. I was just curious if there was anything else I should lubricate or take a look at before trying to start it up.

Also, the steering cable is rusted all the way through so I had to cut it in a few spots to take it out, rack and pinion column, both gears are free and move fine, is this something I should just replace all the way through to the steering wheel or can I get away with just a new cable, I am not sure what to purchase but I took a lot of picture in hopes of getting an experts advice!!

I would take it in and have someone in the know inspect it and then make recommendations. You don't want to loose your steering while having the boat out for a spin!!
Bill

If it was mine, all the fuel lines would be replaced as well.

I'm not sure they even sell steering cables by themselves, but they must. What brand is in there now?

Before spending a bunch of money, check the compression.

Back