Logo

adding power tilt to bf 50

mark123

I got a power tilt unit , engine mounted switch and relay box for my BF50 which I want to convert to power tilt. Everything is connected except a green colored 2 prong connector with light blue and light green wires. On another BF 90 I have that same connector goes to the wiring harness that goes to the console, I assume it goes to the throttle mounted tilt switch and maybe something to do with the trim gauge. Anyway this BF 50 will only be used with tiller and not have those, so what do I do with that, as it stands no nothing will work. I tried disconnecting it on my 90 and nothing will work as well when disconnected. I also tried putting power to either of the terminals in the connector and it will raise and lower respectively.

yes that is the connector which is connecting to remote control trim switch,which you don't have. or some new model tiller handle got trim switch on it.
if your power trim working fine with engine mounted switch, leave that connector and make sure to close the open connector terminals.

wajira

That is my problem, it will not work with nothing connected to that green connector. If I take a piece of wire from the pos+ and touch to either terminal in the connector the motor will raise and lower but I want the side mounted switch to do this.

A simple 2-way rocker switch mounted on your console will work. 12V power goes to the center terminal. when you activate the switch left it will power the blue (up) circuit, raising the motor. Activate the switch to the right it will power the green (down) circuit. I may have the up/down blue/green colors reversed, because I'm recalling from memory. But you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Thanks, I realize that but the side mounted switch on the motor still will not work. If possible that is what I want to work but if it is impossible for some reason I will do what you mentioned, only I will not have a console and will have to mount it on the engine somewhere.

You can also turn that rocker switch "sideways" and push up for up or down for down.:~) I have one on my boat on the starboard side gunnel that I use just for adjusting the outboard to cradle it into the V of the transom rod when trailering.
Good luck

Back