Logo

Johnson 4hp Fuel Line/Tank Help (Pics)

Josh Parker

Bare with me as this is my first ever interaction with an outboard motor, but I just picked up a 12' boat and it came with this 4hp Johnson motor and fuel tank...I ordered a fuel line and 1/4" fitting, but now that it arrived I'm realizing I may not have picked up the right components so I'm wondering if someone here can point me in the right direction?

This is the motor.
14541487238_acc6c9c89b_m.jpg

This is the gas tank/fitting it had on it.
14724947801_043f5e2512_m.jpg

Another shot of the tank/fitting.
14705126076_0f6d00c8ba_m.jpg

This is the fuel line and fitting I ordered..Johnson/Evinrude Line and a 1/4 Johnson/Evinrude fitting.
14725762654_784d95aa16_m.jpg

So my problem is, what's the best way to get this fuel line connected to the motor? I originally thought I would swap out the fitting on the tank with the new 1/4" Johnson one, but the threads too big and when I took the old one out it's an actual hard line with a pickup (like a straw) with a screen on it.

Any help is appreciated!

The hose fits the tank simply by removing the input hose connector, then connecting the hose to the tank fitting. Unfortunately with that setup, the hose stays with the tank.

The engine should already be equipped with the fitting to correspond with the output fitting of the fuel hose.

Thanks everyone, I actually ended up just ordering a 3 gallon Attwood tank last night...looks like the 1/4" NPT connector I have should fit right on that and hopefully I'll be good to go then!

Back