Logo

Thunderbolt 7.5 throttle

grayclose31

This is my first post on here so, Hello to you all.

It is also my first outboard engine. It starts well and everything seemed ok until i tried to open the throttle fully. Am i doing something wrong???

when i twist the throttle it will only open to half thottle and then it seems to stick. With the cover off i can manually open the throttle to its full position but cant advance the timing.

Is there something i am doing wrong or is there a problem that needs repairing

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying that the timer base is sticking? such that the linkage "freezes" which is preventing the throttle from advancing past about 1/2 throttle? but that you can operate the carb butterfly by hand (which would confirm the butterfly isn't sticking).

Yes thats right. when i twist the throttle control i can only get to half throttle. With the engine cover off though i can continue to open the throttle fully with my finger on the butterfly lever without any resistance, but the ignition will not advance any further than the half way point.

Is there something i am doing wrong or a safety device/switch i am not aware of?

On these motors, I always remove and toss out the mechanism that prevents throttle up in N and R. (One bolt.)

Jeff

Back