Logo

Cobra 3.0 / 1988 changing tilt / trim cylinders

craigvalk

All: A question... I need to change tilt / trim cylinders on my 88 Cobra. I assume I need to do this in the down position. I have both the OMC and Seloc manuals and they aren't clear on this, however.
The OMC manual is clear that you should be in the up position to check or add fluid, so logically I'd think " down" for a cylinder change.
Also, should I expect oil to escape under pressure when I break loose the lines?
I assume that I will lose some oil, check fluid, refill, run it up and down a few times and check the fluid again, correct? Any other pointers you have are appreciated.

I'm making the change because my wife hooked a fishing line near the outdrive last weekend and I had her raise it while I hung off the stern to untangle things, and when it approached full "up" I noticed a very slight trace of oil coming off the cylinders, right off the exposed pistons.. so that tells me "leaking".

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
you have new ones? If they're retracted (and I assume they come that way in the box), then yeah, retract yours before removing them.

After you fully retract them, go back up one brief bump of the trim switch. That way no pressure will be in the lines.

Keep adding fluid to keep the reservoir full as you cycle the system with the new cylinders.

Back