Logo

Johnson 175 fuel pouring out of top left carb

Runaway

I purchased a Johnson 175 1995 engine. There is fuel squirting out of the brass tube in the top left carb only when running. It is a steady sputtering stream out of the carb. The primer ball gets hard and there are no leaks when pumped. I checked the float valve thinking that was the issue but it was not.

I noticed the the problem when trying to find out why the engine would not rev past 2500rpm. It would surge up and down and not plain.

This is is a engine I just purchased so don't know the history. It will rev in neutral but not under load. Thinking carb problems are the issue. I also replaced the power pack plugs and water separator.

Runaway

New discovery. There is a hose that blows air connected to the brass barb above the carburetor. It is only connected to the carb with the problem. All others on the carbs are not connected. I removed it and the gas flow out of the tube inside the carb stopped. The engine now runs fine and planes with a max rpm of 4600. Does anyone know what this hose is for?

Probably still need a carb adjustment.

Runaway

New discovery. There is a hose that blows air connected to the brass barb above the carburetor. It is only connected to the carb with the problem. All others on the carbs are not connected. I removed it and the gas flow out of the tube inside the carb stopped. The engine now runs fine and planes with a max rpm of 4600. Does anyone know what this hose is for?

Probably still need a carb adjustment.

Runaway

It seems that the hose sits in a port on the top starboard side of the air silencer. It does not go on a barb. If anyone is far millibar with this engine please confirm.

Back