Logo

I need help ASAP

riznine33

I have a 1989 4.3 V6 Mercruiser I/o engine in my boat. The oil filter was loose and fell off while idling the boat at the launch pad. When I turned and saw the smoke, I immediatley shut off the engine. I put a new filter on and filled it back up with oil, the boat will not turn over or start now. The marine place I took it o told me the engine was tight. I don't know how it could be seized as I shut it off immediatley and didn't hear it lock up. Any advice on what I can do?

I have a 1989 4.3 V6 Mercruiser I/o engine in my boat. The oil filter was loose and fell off while idling the boat at the launch pad. When I turned and saw the smoke, I immediatley shut off the engine. I put a new filter on and filled it back up with oil, the boat will not turn over or start now. The marine place I took it o told me the engine was tight. I don't know how it could be seized as I shut it off immediatley and didn't hear it lock up. Any advice on what I can do?

Try rotating the motor with a socket wrench on the front pulley to see how tight it feels. Doesn't sound too good though.

Do not use the nose bolt,, find out why is dosent move.how much oil was lost, how much did you need to add to full mark.
if the block was smoking it was already too late

Just because you shut it down quickly once the filter fell off, doesn't mean you caught it quick enough. If it fell off, I assume it took a while for it to work its way off. So it probably spent some time loose, causing a loss of oil pressure. I'm not trying to bum you out, but it's not sounding good.

People call me a miminalist and sometimes not in a good way. At this point, whats the harm in trying to turn the motor over to see if it will run? I agree, the damage sounds like it was done but seems worth a try.

This is why.

"The oil filter was loose and fell off while idling the boat at the launch pad. When I turned and saw the smoke"

"The marine place I took it to told me the engine was tight."

This engine Needs to be rebuilt. If by some remote chance (and I mean Really Remote) he gets it to fire up, it will run and come apart and he will then have a core charge.

In the amount of time it will take him to determine what is already known to be wrong with his engine, he could have it out of the boat and a new one ordered.

It takes about 8 to 10 revolutions of the filter to remove it. It starts leaking on the 2nd revolution. It had to vibrate 6 revolutions.
5 minutes with no oil pressure?
The engine is done.
The filter leaked all the oil out LONG before it fell off.

Back