Logo

How do you register a unregistered trailer in california?

c-level

Contributing Member
I just got a boat delivered from Florida to California. The boat registration was easy, as I had bill of sale and title of the boat. Registering the trailer though proved to be a problem. In Florida you don't need registration for any trailer under 1500 lbs which mine is (16' magic tilt trailer). I had a bill of sale and went to AAA to do my dmv work and they said I cannot register the trailer without a registration card for the trailer from Florida.

There's no way I'm going to be able to get the owner to go thru the hassle of getting this and shipping the paperwork back to California. Anyone ever have this problem and have a solution? I read online on how to make it look like a home built trailer and then have it certified by CHP and then have to make several trips to DMV for inspection and it's a pain in the butt.

A friend of mine just tried the homemade story in Louisiana...they wanted receipts for the materials used to build it..i would see if i could get a copy of the registration requirements of that county in florida and see if they will buy that along with the bill of sale...if they dont ask them for the form that you need..deal with the highest level of idiot you can on this issue..bureaucrats are a pain in the butt no matter what state you live in on this issue....

if it really gets to be a problem, just go buy a piece of crap trailer, and put the tags on your current one. scrapping the the old one is easy.

Back