Logo

1990 Evinrude 120 won't idlel smokes, but runs great above 2000 rpm

thjsail

The problem has been getting worse over the last year. Sometimes it would idle others not. Now it almost never idles. It usually starts but runs slow and smokes, and dies when you put it in gear. Pumping the primer usually helps to get it to run long enough to hopefully get it in gear. But once running it will run as long as you want (hours). as soon as you slow down it idles bad and is hard to get going again. Compression is right around 115 on all 4. I have rebuilt the carbs, replaced the primer bulb, replace the bad thermostat (was keeping one side cooler). Timing is right at idle (when lucky enough to get it to idle) and seems to still get spark when idling bad. All 4 cylinders will trigger the light.

I tried to check the VRO. I don't have a vacuum pump or vac gauge. I disconnected the fuel output hose and the crank case pulse hose. Using a hand pump (one for pumping tubes, 15 psi max) on the pulse hose. If I pump slowly, I hear the VRO click but no fuel comes out. If I pump fast I hear the click and about a teaspoon of fuel comes out. Then if I pump slow fuel will come out before the click one time. Could the VRO not be pumping fuel at idle? Would a rebuild kit fix the problem? Any other things to try?

Thanks.

Back