Logo

20 hp. 2008 Tohatsu electric starter not charging

chugiakron

Hi I have a 2008 Tohatsu electric start motor which is not charging my batteries, I checked two fuse holders both 20 amp fuses are not blown so that is not the problem. How do I do a further check, any ideas.
thank you Ron

Ron,

Always specify model/serial, not year, when describing a Tohatsu/Nissan outboard for servicing.

The fuse holder has a spare 20a fuse, not 2 fuses in the circuit. If the fuse was bad, the electric starter would not operate.

Are you sure that you aren't charging? At WOT, that motor should produce about 6 amps, regulated to prevent over-charging. If not charging, the problem will either be a bad alternator, rectifier, or the associated wiring. You can test the charging system using the Factory service manual as a guide. You will need a good analog (not digital) multimeter and basic electrical knowledge.

Thanks Paul, its a 2008 20 hp. Tohatsu serial # 008421xH, I used a multimeter to check voltage it stayed the same, I have battery gauges on the dash board, when running the 200hp E-tech the batteries are charging to 13.5 - 14 v.
I am original owner it has low hours.

Whip out your trusty Factory service manual for the MFS20C (that's your model), and test the alternator output, and run the ohm tests on the rectifier/regulator. I would expect the output to come up to over 13.5 while charging, but if the batteries are really low, they will soak up all of the amps the little alternator makes until they are charged more fully... and then the volts will go up. Are you pull-starting? If so, and you have a blown fuse (did you actually test it with an ohm meter -- they can look OK but be bad), you might just need to swap out the fuse. Charging failures are very rare on these, but anything is possible, especially if someone accidentally connected the wires backwards.

Back