Logo

Mercruiser Tilt Limit and Trim Sender Replacement Help

mceagle

1984 Sea Ray - Alpha I Drive - 5.7

Greetings! So while fighting a high RPM overheat issue I was dumb and used too much water pressure to attempt to back flush and look for leaks from the thermostat housing hose, back. The result – water bypassed the gimbal to outdrive O ring, into the bellows. Decided to do the whole transom seal / repair process including shift cable. During disassembly, I noticed that the trim limit and tilt sender wires were toast so decided to replace those as well. My outdrive is of the 1984 variety and has the wire cover with the two bolts. The upper bolt is impossible to get to using swivel sockets, etc. I read somewhere that Merc used to have a special wrench available but no luck finding one. Any help, suggestions ideas are very much welcome. Thanks!!!

thats got to be a awful lot of pressure to get past the O ring at the water inlet and then the 1/4 inch sealing ring for the drive.
you need to find a very old craftsman 3/8 ths -7/16ths box wrench or get a torch and create the sharp off-set bend on a box wrench

1/4 drive 7/16 swivel socket (One piece, not a swivel with a socket on it) and a long 1/4 extension. Once you loosen the bolt you cannot get the socket off, you have to remove the bolt all the way.

No wrenches needed.

socket.jpg

When reassembling this only use the bottom bolt. It sounds silly. But they tell you this at mercruiser school
Thanks, Cory. I'll probably follow that advise if I could ever the the darn thing off. My set of one-piece, shallow swivel sockets came today thanks to Amazon - I am stopping off at Harbor freight for a set of 60 degree offset box wrenches after work today then off to the driveway. Any other ideas, suggestions, etc are welcome beyond words!

The set of one peice, 1/4" drive swivel sockets arrived today. Wish me luck. I am assuming thet the best way of attacking is by turning the drive all the way to the left?

1/4 drive 7/16 swivel socket (One piece, not a swivel with a socket on it) and a long 1/4 extension. Once you loosen the bolt you cannot get the socket off, you have to remove the bolt all the way.
No wrenches needed.

The set of one peice, 1/4" drive swivel sockets arrived today. Wish me luck. I am assuming thet the best way of attacking is by turning the drive all the way to the left?

View attachment 9501

Back