Logo

2011 40hp yamaha 4 stroke efi outboard

captainbob1250

Hi, running out of options...if engine is at idle for anywhere from 30 min. to 2 hrs, the engine will either quit or stall when advancing the throttle. The only thing that temporarily solves this problem is if the engine is shut off for at least 5-10 min. sometimes longer. It will run fine forever if I keep rpm's at 25 hundred or better. Took it to dealer where I purchased it and they changed fuel water seperator, external filters and eventually the internal filter in the glass bowl was removed and cleaned and re-installed. This solved the problem for two days. It seems to happen when the motor is tilted to where the last bars are showing on the graph. By advancing the throttle in neutral to 3500 or so it will stay there very shortly and then just quit. Restarting it again after stalled it will still start and stay and then quit again. What doesn't make sense is that after turning off for say 10 min. or more it will run fine at high rpms but go to idle speed and within 10 min it is back to doing the same thing. Mechanic thought it may be the throttle assembly and was in process of ordering it but was told by tech that they never go bad, advised them to check alternate possibilities. Today, after hauling out and putting back in about 15 min later at another ramp, it began acting up right away. First time that has happened. I use the boat commercially and use idle speed much of the time...several hours. Thanks for whatever advise you can give.

Think i found my problem. Was a blocked vst pump filter. I removed pump from vst ran in container with power tune, and noticed after a minuite or 2 the volume reduced to almost a trickle. I then removed filter from pump and ran for abot 10 mins no change in flow. Put filter back on within 2 mins it reduced again. So with a bit of bogan redneckery i pressure washed filter then washed in petrol. Retested for 20 mins all good. Ran today no worries. My engine is ex commercial and has 2340hrs. On it im also an ob mech working for myself. I'll be ordering a new filter in the morning.

Back