Logo

Not Sure What I have or why folks wont touch it

River Bank

Help....newbie here....just got a 1987 Sportsman 1700 Blue Fin in remarkable remarkable condition with a Force 50 motor on it. I have not seen the boat in the water but supposedly it was from the third owner and it has under 100 hours on the motor. I did hear the motor run with its muffs on and it ran nice and went into forward and reverse without issue. Carb was rebuilt twice in it's life most recently a year ago when it was brought in supposedly for a service. The motor is immaculate both on the outside and under the hood. Truly spotless. I had a few friends who know boats look the whole thing over and they think I got a crazy good deal on the boat, trailer. Before I put it in the water I wanted to have a marina look it over but am finding that nobody wants to touch the Force 50???

How do I tell what I have here? Mercury? Chrysler? Is there a Serial number I can find and post here? What do I do?

JAW

In the early 80's Chrysler was sold to US Marine.
They changed the name to Force.
The 50 didn't change much and is real easy to work on.
The serial # should be on he port transom clamp.
If not then almost any 87 50 model will work if parts are needed.

The Force/ Chrysler got a bad rap and now nobody wants to work on them?
They are probably the easiest to work on.

In the early 80's Chrysler was sold to US Marine.
They changed the name to Force.
The 50 didn't change much and is real easy to work on.
The serial # should be on he port transom clamp.
If not then almost any 87 50 model will work if parts are needed.

The Force/ Chrysler got a bad rap and now nobody wants to work on them?
They are probably the easiest to work on.

Thank You Jerry Jerry.....I found the ID Plate and the motor is a Model 507F8C. Serial # 1818
So I guess this is a 1988 50hp motor? What does that tell me in terms of parts? Is it a Mercury set up or a Chrysler? Is there a Parts Interchange manual available?

Any best sources for parts?

Last, isn't there any kind of air cleaner for the carb? The hood is lined with foam rubber for sound, but there is no filter at the air inlet or over the carb throat.

JAW

Chrysler not Mercury.
No air cleaner.
No dirt out on the water.
REMOVE the foam.
It will eventually fall off and clog the carb and could possibly burn up the motor.
This site sells some parts.
Depending on what you need.
If they don't sell it here.
Boats . net sells it at discount.

Back