Logo

OMC 5.0 died while running @ 2800rpm

Motor boatin'

First off...thank you for any help you may provide. I've searched this forum front to back so I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.

second...I am a newbie. Not just on this site but to boating. I'm trying to learn but it's a process. I'm fairly handy but not real mechanically inclined, yet. I don't know very much but am eager to learn.

Yesterday I took my wife and daughter out on the boat. We drove out onto Lake MI, dropped anchor and relaxed for about an hour. My daughter is 18 months so her patience was wearing and we decided to head back. We entered the channel heading back to the launch and when I left the no wake zone I sped up. I was running about 2800rpm and the engine stopped. I tried to restart the engine and it would make a click sound but would not turn over. Instead of trying to pretend I could fix it I flagged down a passing boater and got a tow back to the launch.

I mi trailered the boat all while thinking $$$$$$. I got back to the house and thought I would turn the key to see what happens. I couldn't create the fake lake so I didn't want to run it just see if it turns over. IT DOES!

Im on vacation so I'm headed to the store now to buy a few things to start diagnosing.

I have read a few threads and it sounds like it could have been a bad temp sensor.

Full disclosure: I changed the lower unit oil the day before. I noticed a higher pitched whining sound when outdrive is in forward that I don't remember hearing before. Probably common but wanted to disclose it in case it's relevant.

Thanks again for your expertise and advice!!

Last edited:
There is a certain procedure to be followed to add, or change gear oil on an OMC drive. there's a dipstick at the top, & 2 other places to check. A factory manual would help

I have read a few threads and it sounds like it could have been a bad temp sensor.
I don't know what threads you were reading but it sure isn't that.

What year is the engine and is it carbureted or fuel injected?
Ford 5.0, or Chev 5.0?

Did it shut off like the key was switched off? or slow, load up and shudder.

Any maintenance done before this trip? (such as drive lube changed)

Last edited:
I don't know what threads you were reading but it sure isn't that.

What year is the engine and is it carbureted or fuel injected?
Ford 5.0, or Chev 5.0?

Did it shut off like the key was switched off? or slow, load up and shudder.

Any maintenance done before this trip? (such as drive lube changed)

1993 Ford OMC 5.0 carb

It shut down like I turned the key off.

lower unit gear lube was changed.

Boat at starts and runs although I feel a vibration when I put my hand on the outdrive. I'm wondering if it's the gimbal bearing. I'm going to remove the outdrive tomorrow..

lower unit gear lube was changed.

ahh
sorry to hear. hate to jump to conclusions, but....
Did you do it the special way through the middle plug and all that nonsense?

2014 - the year of the misfilled Cobra. I have never heard of so many ground up Cobra uppers as I have on these forums this year. epidemic.

I learned the hard way how to NOT change outdrive oil! If you don't do it right, it will crest an air bubble and you gears will run dry and seize! Get a manual!

ahh
sorry to hear. hate to jump to conclusions, but....
Did you do it the special way through the middle plug and all that nonsense?

2014 - the year of the misfilled Cobra. I have never heard of so many ground up Cobra uppers as I have on these forums this year. epidemic.

No...I did not. I filled from the bottom like I did on my alpha.

I've been googling and you tube searching all day. I just discovered this nonsense.

How screwed am I?

Take the top "cap" off the top of the outdrive and look at the gears in there. Very simple to view them.

Removed the gear case cover and nothing noticeable. I took it to a local repair shop and they confirmed that the gears are all fine. Looking to see what else would have caused the issue.

There is a certain procedure to be followed to add, or change gear oil on an OMC drive. there's a dipstick at the top, & 2 other places to check. A factory manual would help

This is what I was concerned about, it looks like you maybe dodged a bullet. By the way, check your oil, and fuel filter for water.

Last edited:
Sounds 'lectrical to me. You wouldn't be the first person to have a wire fall off the coil during acceleration. Check that all your connections at the coil (and everywhere else) are clean and tight. The other thing that can ruin your day is the condensor (really a capacitor) if you have points type ignition in the dizzer.
I'd also check the presence of water in the fuel system as noted above. What often happens is that you run for several minutes on whats in the bowl, the filter and the lines, then a blob of water from the tank hits the carb and it's game over.

Back