Logo

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I have a question on the Alpha 1

Damn Yankee

Hi,
My name is Heidi and I am the 3rd and 7th owner of our Damn Yankee.

Long story, but we owned this boat back in 2000, and in 2011 we sold it to a guy in GA.
We live in NC, and I recently got a registered mail asking for the titles, which I gave the 1st guy that bought our boat.
Needless to say, the boat went through 3 other owners after we sold it, and not one person took the NC #'s off or registered it. So the boat is still in my name. LOL

The boat was not taken care of, like we used to take care of it.
The last owner had done tons of work on the motor, and I bought our beloved boat back because I missed it so much.

It is a 1989 Sportscraft, Sprint CC, with the 3.7 Mercruiser, Alpha 1.

We know we have a lot of work to do on this boat, AGAIN, and it did run when we got it home, but it kept popping and then died. We didn't push it, so we just let it be.

I did however notice a small leak. Gear oil. Now I'm not familiar with the names of the lower unit, but it is the part that the prop goes onto and looks like a bullet shape.

There is one tiny hole right above the bullet shape part, and that is where I noticed the small leak. Color looked good, greenish/blue.

Is this something major? How do we go about fixing this and what else should we do if we have to take the whole lower unit apart?

Thanks everyone!

Back