Logo

Questions about Crusader 502 compression test results

Hello everyone,
I have just had a mechanical survey done on a 1991 Silverton 41 with Crusader 502 engines that I considering purchasing. The hours are 1500 on each engine. The boat is located in Ontario fresh water, but it has made one trip to the Bahamas . The boat looks immaculate and the 2nd owner has owned it for 18 years.
Both engines appear to start easily and appear to idle just fine. I have not taken the boat out for any sea trials, as the results of the compression test below have turned me off of any further interest in purchasing this boat until I learn more about their expected engine life.

My concerns are the results of the compression test.
The port engine comes in at 150, 140, 150, 150 on one side, and 145,145,125,145 on the other.

The starboard comes in at 130,115,125,135 on one side and 125,"95",125,125 on the other .

I'm wondering how concerned I should be about these figures.
The Port engine figures are relatively uniform, so I don't think I need to worry about that engine (or should I), but the Starboard engine is another story.
All of the starboard figures are lower than the port engine, so that sort of tells me it's a bit weaker overall, and I'm wondering how concerned I should be about that imbalance between the two engines? I'm also (and more so) concerned that there is one cylinder that is even LOWER (at 95) than the rest of the cylinders on this ALREADY weaker starboard engine.

Should I consider the starboard engine to be "just tired"?, or should I consider it "sick"? or should I consider it "REALLY sick" and only going to get "sicker sooner than later"?

I'm not a mechanic, but just a decent "screw turner" so I think I'm correct in thinking that low compression most likely is on of two things...valves, or rings. The thought of removing heads for repair is one thing, that although messy and expensive can be dealt with with modest efforts to keep this pristine boat interior clean and intact, but the thought of having to remove the whole engine for piston ring work would most likely require dismantling a lot of the boats interior and door ways....something I would dread, but could deal with, but something I'd better find out NOW before I decide if I want to proceed with any further negotiations with the owner.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
By the way...what SHOULD a decently running 502 read for compression specs???

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Back