Logo

noisy out drive Volvo penta

korn9613

I have the 5.7 Volvo penta in my reinell 240c. It is making a loud racket when I turn the out drive left/right. It sounds like a bearing going out maybe in a gear somewhere. Its a loud vibration type sound and it does it even in neutral. Any ideas???

Is this a major job or relatively simple to do?
Need more info if you're going to replace the PDS bearing(s)!

Post your engine model number.

You may have a single bearing PDS. If so, all can be done from AFT.
If double bearing PDS, the engine must come out, or at least be slid forward enough to access a this area.

As for the drive.... no need to remove the entire drive. Just remove the transmission.
Watch for and account for all shims.

Need more info if you're going to replace the PDS bearing(s)!

Post your engine model number.

You may have a single bearing PDS. If so, all can be done from AFT.
If double bearing PDS, the engine must come out, or at least be slid forward enough to access a this area.

As for the drive.... no need to remove the entire drive. Just remove the transmission.
Watch for and account for all shims.

Not sure if this is the info your looking for but I found a sticker with the drive, transom, and engine numbers on it.
ENGINE. 5.7 GSI PEFS....4012028198....3869059
DRIVE. SX-M...4202009971....3868889
TRANSOM. TSK SX-M...4111654145...3868844

Not sure if this is the info your looking for but I found a sticker with the drive, transom, and engine numbers on it.
OK.... you have a later Gimbal system drive. No PDS.

Suspects:

Universal shaft bearing crosses.
Gimbal bearing.
Upper gear set or bearings.

Just saw the bottom of your response. Are those 3 very invasive?

Invasive, as in how difficult these are to replace?

The Gimbal bearing is considered to be a routine replacement item, as is the drive shaft bellows.
Both can be addressed at the same time.
While in there, you may as well replace the bearing crosses.

As for the main drive gears and bearings, this would require a good V/P Technician.

Invasive, as in how difficult these are to replace?

The Gimbal bearing is considered to be a routine replacement item, as is the drive shaft bellows.
Both can be addressed at the same time.
While in there, you may as well replace the bearing crosses.

As for the main drive gears and bearings, this would require a good V/P Technician.

That's what I was wondering. Is there anything I can do to narrow it down to the actual cause or just get into it?

That's what I was wondering. Is there anything I can do to narrow it down to the actual cause or just get into it?
You'll need to get into it. Remove the drive, and look things over.
If no history of the gimbal bearing, bellows or bearing crosses having been replaced, you'll want to do this anyway.

You'll need to get into it. Remove the drive, and look things over.
If no history of the gimbal bearing, bellows or bearing crosses having been replaced, you'll want to do this anyway.

Ok thank you much. Do you have any access to any manuals on doing this or at least a schematic?

What is the condition of the oil in the drive? When was it last changed? If clear and frequently changed and of the correct type, then IMHO, RICKs post covers most likely problem.
Bellows swap should occur as a matter of course BEFORE symptoms appear. FWIW, I replace mine (OEM ONLY) every 3 or 4 seasons, or as soon as the surface of the rubber shows any "pebbling". Yes, I have thrown away perfectly good bellows. The only time my drive is raised is twice a year in order to allow safe trailering to/from launch. Otherwise...its down.

What is the condition of the oil in the drive? When was it last changed? If clear and frequently changed and of the correct type, then IMHO, RICKs post covers most likely problem.
Bellows swap should occur as a matter of course BEFORE symptoms appear. FWIW, I replace mine (OEM ONLY) every 3 or 4 seasons, or as soon as the surface of the rubber shows any "pebbling". Yes, I have thrown away perfectly good bellows. The only time my drive is raised is twice a year in order to allow safe trailering to/from launch. Otherwise...its down.

Oil is replaced every season when I winterize. The boat only sees water 2-3 times a year. With the progression of the noise it most certainly seems like a bearing somewhere

If noise changes with steering angle and the drive itself is properly lubed (as you apparently do), most likely just the bearing crosses, per Rick.

If noise changes with steering angle and the drive itself is properly lubed (as you apparently do), most likely just the bearing crosses, per Rick.

Ok yeah when the wheel is straight its quiet, as soon as you turn left or right both in neutral and in gear it gets pretty noisy.

Hey all. With these numbers I posted above...can anyone help me find which gimbal bearing I would need to buy or atleast point me to a website that will help me based on the numbers I provided????

Old thread, but im going to add to it since its the same topic. This is interesting. I didn't notice any noise from the upper transmission on my drive until one of the pds bearings seized. It made a grumbling sound from the top cover area in neutral or drive.

Mine is the old dpa with two bearings.

Old thread, but im going to add to it since its the same topic. This is interesting. I didn't notice any noise from the upper transmission on my drive until one of the pds bearings seized. It made a grumbling sound from the top cover area in neutral or drive.

Mine is the old dpa with two bearings.

All too often an OP (original poster) does not come back and put closure to his/her thread, such as with this thread. Since this one is just over 5 years old, I doubt that the OP will even see your response.

Meanwhile, did you have a question regarding bearings part numbers?

And FYI.... the OP's drive was a later SX gimbal suspension drive behind a 5.7 GSI PEFS...
Your DP-A is a main suspension fork/pivot tube geometry drive in the AQ series family.

No, I was merely trying to add in what my symptoms were to aid others. I'm aware he had a later drive, but thought my comment would have been of assistance to those who currently have bad gimbal bearing/pds bearings.

RicardoMarine said:
Meanwhile, did you have a question regarding bearings part numbers?

No, I was merely trying to add in what my symptoms were to aid others. I'm aware he had a later drive, but thought my comment would have been of assistance to those who currently have bad gimbal bearing/pds bearings.

Understood and appreciated.

For those reading this, a gimbal suspension system and gimbal bearing are very different from that of an AQ series drive with fixed engine-to-transom-shield geometry.

Back