Logo

Long Running Stalling Issue

StevoDevo

Hi Guys,

I own a 97 MB Sports LS200 ski boat. In 2010 I left the boat for 2 years in storage while I went to Australia. Ever since I've been back, the boat has been having this very intermittent issue where it will stall while it's driving and won't restart for a long period of time (from hours to days).

When it stalls while driving it won't restart. The motor cranks just fine and it turns over and over but never starts. This weekend was a great example. Thursday we skied from 9-1pm just fine without an issue. Then when we tried to start the boat up after lunch, it wouldn't start. Just cranked and turned but didn't start. We couldn't get it going for the rest of the day.

Friday the boat started up just fine, but after idling out of the 5 mph zone and starting to tow it died and stopped and didn't go again. After lunch, it started up just fine and ran for a few hours without issue. Then we went back into the water this evening and same thing - idled out just fine and then stalled and wouldn't start again.

My hunch is that it is a fuel delivery issue. The boat cranks great, but it sounds like not enough fuel is getting through.

The boat was left with 1/2 tank of gas while I was in Australia for 2 years and I just have added fuel each time I've taken it out to top it up. Today I added a fuel additive to get help get rid of any water in the fuel system.

What else can I try? I'm going to try change the fuel filter next, but should I get the tank drained? What else could be causing this weird intermittent issue??

Any help would be appreciated!

Steve

A co-worker had similar symptoms on his boat. He replaced a lot of ignition and fuel system components, but the problem remained. In the end, it turned out his anti-siphon valve, located at the fuel tank outlet, was clogged with debris and starving the engine for fuel.
I would definitely change the fuel filter, as you are suggesting, just as a regular maintenance item.
Dan

Thanks for the response! I'm convinced it's either a fuel filter issue or now perhaps the anti siphon valve. My next question is where would I find this valve? Any help would be awesome!

I can't help you with a Fuel Control Cell. I'm just a boat owner, not a mechanic, and my old boat has carburetors. I will say that crud doesn't look good and I think you're on the right track.

You should find the anti-siphon valve literally on top of the fuel tank. Generally, there's a pipe elbow on the fuel tank's fuel pick-up, and at the other end of the elbow is the valve you looking for. It might look like just part of the fuel plumbing. The idea of the valve is that if your fuel line gets cut or develops a leak, the fuel in the line won't be siphoned out of your tank and into the bilge.

Hi Guys - quick update!

I replaced the fuel filter in the FCC as well as the rubber tube in there. The filter was pretty dirty! I took the boat out yesterday and it ran amazingly well. Held it speed nicely while towing in the 15-22mph range which it always struggled with in the past.

However, after stopping for lunch it stalled again after we idled out of the no-wake zone and wouldn't restart. Had to paddle ourselves back in!

So next I've heard to change out the anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank, but I'm not sure how to get to my tank! It's under the back seat, but I can't see an easy way to remove that back seat.

Any ideas on my issue, or how to remove that seat would be appreciated!

Steve

Back