Logo

Starting and running issues

billblanken1

I have a 1994 Mercury Mariner 115hp 2 stroke. The issue isstarting but runs rough and need to keep choking to keep motor running or itstalls in drive with water muffs on. List of work I did within in 6 months. I onlyput non ethanol fuel in.
1)Lower unit redone 2) new stator 3) new trigger 4)replacedcoil and wires 5) new plugs and wires 6)new starter 7) new battery and negativeand positive run cable runs 8) new fuel separator 9) new prime bulb and hose10)timing adjusted 11)new voltage regulator 12)new fuel filter
Ran rough after all with the wok so I thought missedsomething. Took to a large professional marine repair shop. Mechanics looksover and made adjustments but said all was good but running like a scaled dog andneed to redo carburetors and would cost $600 additional to do. I took home todo carbs have done many of times for outboards and cars. Took carbs apart usedcarb cleaner rinsed and cleaned. Meticulously put back together with certified carb rebuild kit. Put back onand no go same. Starts rough and still runs like a scaled dog. I runs with ashake and need to choke to keep running.
What am I missing? I think it is a fuel issues somewhere. I willadmit I did not change fuel lines from tank to engine or fuel pump.

I have a 1994 Mercury Mariner 115hp 2 stroke. The issue isstarting but runs rough and need to keep choking to keep motor running or itstalls in drive with water muffs on. List of work I did within in 6 months. I onlyput non ethanol fuel in.
1)Lower unit redone 2) new stator 3) new trigger 4)replacedcoil and wires 5) new plugs and wires 6)new starter 7) new battery and negativeand positive run cable runs 8) new fuel separator 9) new prime bulb and hose10)timing adjusted 11)new voltage regulator 12)new fuel filter
Ran rough after all with the wok so I thought missedsomething. Took to a large professional marine repair shop. Mechanics looksover and made adjustments but said all was good but running like a scaled dog andneed to redo carburetors and would cost $600 additional to do. I took home todo carbs have done many of times for outboards and cars. Took carbs apart usedcarb cleaner rinsed and cleaned. Meticulously put back together with certified carb rebuild kit. Put back onand no go same. Starts rough and still runs like a scaled dog. I runs with ashake and need to choke to keep running.
What am I missing? I think it is a fuel issues somewhere. I willadmit I did not change fuel lines from tank to engine or fuel pump.
I have the exact same boat with the exact same problem. With the only difference being I'm not getting top speed (in my opinion). @35, and a lot of bogging down when u go full throttle until it just decides to get up scream with out warning....when I was testing it few weeks ago at @45-47 but with the same bogging issue.. Since then not even close... I have rebuilt carbs...replaced all fuel line, fuel filter from tank to the motor and new prime bulb....replaced plugs and now looking at the stator, trigger, and coils......talk to local shop here and he suggested checking the reeds at a close inspection..........seems to me mine is not getting enough fuel one min and having a steady continuous miss....I even rebuilt the accelarating pump, thinking it may be that.......hope we can find a solution to this mystery. Lol......if you get any kind of info feel free to pass it along..

I have the exact same boat with the exact same problem. With the only difference being I'm not getting top speed (in my opinion). @35, and a lot of bogging down when u go full throttle until it just decides to get up scream with out warning....when I was testing it few weeks ago at @45-47 but with the same bogging issue.. Since then not even close... I have rebuilt carbs...replaced all fuel line, fuel filter from tank to the motor and new prime bulb....replaced plugs and now looking at the stator, trigger, and coils......talk to local shop here and he suggested checking the reeds at a close inspection..........seems to me mine is not getting enough fuel one min and having a steady continuous miss....I even rebuilt the accelarating pump, thinking it may be that.......hope we can find a solution to this mystery. Lol......if you get any kind of info feel free to pass it along..
If even strapped in an alternate fuel tank with fresh fuel, thinking it may be bad fuel since I found same black specs in my fuel filter...same problems as before..

What is the compression? A 20 year old carb may need a 48 hr soaking. Fuel varnish gets rock hard and is hard to remove from tiny idle circuits. Soak them again in a sealed can of lacquer thinner...USE ONLY OUTDOORS DUE TO FLAMMABILITY...IT'S HARMFULL IF INHALED Use a strand of fine 14 ga. wire to probe circuits and blow out w/comp. air.

Btw Bill, I located a 2nd fuel filter (behind oil reservoir). It was full of trash/gunk. Looks like it feeds the combustion chambers. You might look at that if you haven't already...I'm just learning as I go.

Back