Logo

98 BF90 Losing Power

Bardcard

There is another similar thread below about a BF90 losing power.
Mine will run fine for a while, then start losing power for a few minutes, then clear up and run fine till the next time I leave the bank.
Have always used Sta-bil since I have owned the motor (4 years).
I have drained all gas from system and am adding new primer bulb.
In the other thread, carb gum is mentioned. Is there any treatment for this? Any other suggestions? Am planning on putting back in water Monday to test out.

There is no magic fix.

First, you have to determine if it is a fuel issue or a spark issue....or maybe something else.

Next time it fails, have someone squeeze the fuel bulb until hard and see if that helps.

If that does not effect the engine....then momentarily activate the choke and see if the engine picks up. If it does, then there is probably an issue with the carburetors.

There is also a possibility that the CDI unit is crossfiring on a couple of cylinders. The only sure way to test for this is to substitute another CDI unit. Even watching each cylinder with a timing light does not always tell you that there is a crossfire.

While you are putting new parts on your system, be sure to install a new fuel filter, drain one of your carburetors into a glass jar and check it for water and check the fuel lines for kinks.

If you are using Sta-bil, use Sta-bil Marine. It also has cleaning and decarbonizing properties.

Some suggest a shock treatment of Sea Foam, but I have been shying away from using Sea Foam due to the alcohol in it.

At least there are a few things to try.

Mike

Hello I'm new to this site and can't figure out how to post on my 93 marada boat I've put a new control box and lower unit in it and be the boat only runs good,when you press the trim button up or down any advice on the t e to look or who to ask would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Thanks Mike. I only use Marine Stabil. Hoping it is a fuel issue, that would be simplest/cheapest fix. Have not looked at the fuel line, but will inspect that tomorrow.

Thanks again

Back