Logo

Reverse gear?

Wayneww

I have a 9.9 4 stroke the other day while launching I think my prop hit something as I was getting off of my trailer. I lost reverse, it will go forward with no problem but the prop won't turn in reverse. Is there a shear pin somewhere? I started to take off the lower unit but I can't get it to come off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Wayne

No shear pin - you may have broken the ears on the reverse gear itself or the ears on the clutch dog.

If you plan on looking at this yourself, before you go any further, at least invest 35 bucks in a Seloc's manual.

Did you disconnect the shift shaft and get all three (3) bolts out in your attempt to remove the lower unit?

Yes I got those three bolts out and have the shifter rod separated. I had the water pump? I think apart. I wasn't able to get to the gear so I reassembled and bolted that back together. When I turn the prop by hand it will turn in the forward position, but when I reverse then turn it will not turn the prop, it just slips. I noticed today after I pulled the prop off what looks to be a nut with three nubs on it. I can fab a tool to get at that nut. Is this where I can disassemble to get to the reverse gear? Thanks for your input I will order that book so I can get this all back in and adjusted right. where can I get this manual?

Here is a diagram of a "somewhat typical" Merc lower unit. You need to get at "all the guts" from (behind) the prop.

A manual is available from this site (in printed or download versions) or in print at just about any Merc dealer and numerous on-line sellers.

Tearing down a lower unit is a little bit of work. Since you are unfamiliar, after reading the process a couple of times I would set aside a weekend to get it torn down, fixed (if parts are in stock locally) and put back together.

It's not rocket science, but must be done in order.

4S 9.9 gears.jpg

#56 is your reverse gear and #52 is the clutch dog - the issue most probably lies with one of these.

Back