Logo

1978 Black Max 150hp 2 stroke - Bogs down when accelerating

Donewright

Regular Contributor
Trying to determine why my engine bogs down when trying to accelerate and why it normally dies when returning back to idle from high rpm's

What I know:

All 6 cylinders have good compression
All 6 cylinders have blue spark that jumps a minimum of 7/16 on the test tool
All new vacuum lines installed
All new fuel lines installed
Spark plugs/wires are good
No slop in the throttle cable
Throttle linkage adjusted per the manual
I have checked engine timing and it is correct
Carbs have been dismantled and cleaned - Jets were removed and cleaned (The floats were adjusted, but the floats and needles were not replaced)
Fuel is 50:1 mixed in the tank
The engine reaches 5500 rpms at WOT (It just takes some time to start accelerating)
The engine does not miss or stumble at WOT
The RPM's hold at 3000 for what feels like forever, then you can hear the engine start revving up and the boat goes on plane.
The fuel bulb gets firm when I pump it, I can squeeze hard and force fuel to drip out the lower carb (This might be an indicator to my problem)
There is a lot of raw fuel in the carb cover when I removed it after a day on the lake
The engine idles great when out of gear and on the garden hose
The engine bogs down when put into gear, I have to make sure i give it plenty of throttle to avoid killing the engine
The engine will die when returning to idle from high rpm's
The engine smokes a lot at idle

It seems to me that too much fuel is my issue, If I can force fuel out the carb by pumping hard on the fuel bulb then I'm thinking that must be my problem.

I must be flooding the carbs, I don't know what else it could be ??

Thoughts?

Yes, I have verified that all of the throttles are in sync. They all open and close at the same time. When I rebuilt the carbs, I adjusted the float heights and tried to blow through the fuel line when the floats were hanging down. I could now blow through them, so I assumed the needles were closing. But if I really try, I can force fuel to come out of the carbs by pumping the bulb. I can't locate any replacement floats, I know they are old, but I thought they looked ok and since I couldn't blow through the line when the needle was closed, I thought the needles were ok too. Apparently the fuel has more pressure than my lungs.

Back