Logo

1983 Johnson 25hp J25RCTE Carburetor linkage help

PoppaJohn

I was cleaning the carb today on my 1983 Johnson 25 HP outboard Model J25RCTE, and in the process of reattaching the carb a linkage rod and fittings came loose. The part that bolts onto the side of the carb that has two springs on the bolt had backed completely out of the side of the carb.
Does anyone have a photo or diagram of how this is all supposed to go back together? Any help is appreciated.

I've found the exploded parts diagram but it doesn't help as far as putting it back together.

PoppaJohn

The part that had the two springs attached is the Bellcrank assembly that controls the choke. Sorry, I'm flying blind here on the carburetor terminology.
PoppaJohn

Yea it is kinna hard to see how it goes but you want it to do two things. With the choke off the spring holds it fully open and the other spring holds the choke closed manually. When you press the choke button it should close and open when you let off the button.

Thanks for your reply. Your explanation actually helps and along with the photo you linked to I can get some idea where at least one spring connects.

This won't help you now but in the future anything that you're taking apart take lots of pictures before you disassemble it.

I have my lap top on my workbench when I'm working on anything a little complicated and I'm looking back at pictures making sure I've got it right.

I also learned the older you get the more pictures you'll need to take. :D

Back