Logo

6hp 2011 tohatsu run low on oil

jclays

Regular Contributor
Last month ran my skiff with my 6hp Tohatsu cruising at mid throttle for about 7min and she stalls. Starts up right away but always stalled past idle speed. Restarted a third time and limped back to my slip and shut it down. Next day checked it out and found low on oil about 1/2 full and not marking on the dip stick. Took it to the tohatsu shop had her serviced the tech didn't find anything wrong said the sensor was dirty that's why the red light did not come on. Runs fine now but smells hot like oil after it gets warm.

Might just be some spilled oil, or could also be overheating. Check the block temp with an IR thermometer. If around 150F, fine. If up over 200F, verify the cooling system. Also check for any oil leaks.

Last month ran my skiff with my 6hp Tohatsu cruising at mid throttle for about 7min and she stalls. Starts up right away but always stalled past idle speed. Restarted a third time and limped back to my slip and shut it down. Next day checked it out and found low on oil about 1/2 full and not marking on the dip stick. Took it to the tohatsu shop had her serviced the tech didn't find anything wrong said the sensor was dirty that's why the red light did not come on. Runs fine now but smells hot like oil after it gets warm.

My 2003 Tohatsu 6hp with 200hours started doing that part way through the season. Turned out it was running hot. That distinct smell when I would be motoring back to my slip I what alerted me. Not long before this I had switched to 100LL aviation fuel so that I wasn't putting ethanol in the engine. Turns out that higher octane was making it run hot and burn some oil. Brand new spark plug was white as a ghost. I soon dumped that gas in my car, but back in regular pump 87 octane, new plug and changed the oil with brand new 10w-40. Its been running like a champ since!

Ps. Mine burned a bit of oil so that it didn't even show up on the stick also. I think it is really key to open that thing up every few times you run it, pull and check the plug and check the oil. Easiest bit of maintenance you could ever perform.

-Robert

Back