Logo

454 rebuild info needed

jubilee

I'm looking for correct info for my Gen 4 454 model 350 FWC 1171hrs. (dropped valve on #4)

Casting # of the heads that make the 350 hp not the 330 hp

What kind of "correct info" are you seeking? Information on your motor, on what you might have to do to correct the issue, how to diagnose, how to fix, etc.?? You might start by stating what happened and how you have diagnosed it. Could be a good story......

Looking for casting number of the 350hp heads. Was cruising at 2500 when #4 valve dropped. Compression was 135 to 145 on all cylinders except #4 which is 0 after getting back to port. Pulled valve covers and #4 is loose. I'm guessing at this but I might need another head so I want exact replacement. I won't know until i get engine out and apart. I'm hearing that the 350 vs. 330 have different heads just trying to confirm if this is true. I forgot to write down numbers before I left for home.

Well, from automotive experience I can say that sometimes it is just a bent valve with only a harmless ding to the piston and no damage to the head. Sometimes the push rod, piston, head, cylinder bore and connecting rod are also shot. No point is trying fool with numbers until you take the head off and see what's up (and then it is easy to get the number). Since you have over 1100 hours, if the head is good I would consider pulling the other side as well and send them both out for a valve job with new valves and springs.

Back