Logo

88 johnson 120hp VRO just stops

S-tranzor

Hi all,

i have a looper 120hp on my crestcutter. Had the boat for about 4 months now. Runs great and strong and is a great engine!! but today while out and about it just fell in a heap. Was running most of the day so engine was well warm. I gave it a squirt for a few minutes and under load it suddenly felt like it was loosing power for a moment and then just died like it was swithed off. No cough or splutter, just dead. I tried to boot it back up and it wouldnt fire. After about 5 minutes it fired and ran perfectly again for another 5-10 minutes under light load, then same thing occured. A Moment of weakness then dead. The engine performs perfectly otherwise.

Im new to johnsons but have built a few V8 windsors in my time. Could it be the powerpack failing under high temps? I'm thinking an ignition module issue as i doubt 1 or 2 bad coils will kill it stone dead without some initial struggle. When it finally fires it smokes up bigtime if its been turning over for a while due to flooding, which further tells me ignition/spark issue.

any johnson buffs out there experienced this before? Ill be running some ignition tests tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks all.

Back