Logo

Bad cylinder head wall, is motor shot?

jasonmac23

I got into my 1984 Chrysler 45hp yesterday to replace the cylinder head gasket and this is what I found. As you can see from the pics, the left side of the lower cylinder outside wall is in bad shape. And you can see from the old gasket where this has compromised the integrity of the gasket. My question to all of you that would know, is this motor shot, or is this something that can be repaired? At this point I really have no choice but to go ahead and install the new gasket and hope that it will work. I can’t afford to replace the motor. Would this be a situation where I could just install the new gasket and as long as the compression tests good, run it like that and possibly just have to replace that cylinder head gasket every 1-2 years depending on how much it is ran?
Cylinder3.JPGCylinder2.JPGCylinder1.JPG

What can be done: There is an aluminum moldable metal.
Comes in a tube. Just fill the holes and let it dry.
Smooth it out and install a new gasket.
Maybe a bit of sealer on the gasket when you put it back on.

Thanks guys, I did go ahead and put the new gasket on as it is, just to see what I would end up with. After compression test it tested at 105psi on top cylinder and 103psi on bottom cylinder( the one that is damaged) is that acceptable? My manual says it should fall around 115-125, but I've also read that as long as they are not more than 10psi off from one another, that it's ok. And we are talking about a 30yr old motor here, so wouldn't it loose compression over time and usage?

My motors turned 26 this year.
Comp on all 6 cyl. is 145-150#

The reason your gauge is reading differently is: Possible the test was done wrong, the gauge is reading wrong(cheap maybe).
Your right about the readings, as long as they are within 5-10# your ok.

Thanks Jerryjerry05. I'm pretty sure that I did the test correctly, but you are right in that it is a cheap'O tester from Harbor Freight. But I will say one thing, I got it all back together yesterday and it fired right up and runs like a champ now, so I'm gonna take it to the lake today and see how she performs. Thanks again!

Back