Logo

Parsons Pike 4 cylinder marinised Ford 4D

Chris/G

Hello and thanks in advance for anyone who can offer me some help:confused:

The engine in question is a Parsons Pike marinised Ford 4D of questionable age my guess would be around 1950/60's. It has been in the boat since I bought it 28 years ago, always performed well.

It now refuses to start, fuel is getting to 3 of the 4 injectors only, fuel filter ok.

Where to start? I am not convinced that the injector pump will come off with the engine in situ. Bad news.:mad:

Thanks.

Chris, sounds like air in the fuel. Can you give me any numbers off the injection pump??
Charlie w.

Thanks Charlie will check out the pump later today for the number. I know it is a Simms pump. I have disconnected each of the injector pipes at the injector and turned the engine over, I have spurts of diesel showing on 3 of them but nothing from the 4th. I am surprised that the engine will not start on 3 cylinders, I had hoped if that happened it would encourage the 4th. I have the pump etc. soaking in a diesel cleaning solution at the moment, filled the fuel filter and pumped it through.
Hope to contact you later with the numbers. Thanks Chris.

Hello Charlie photo's as promised.

Attachments

• Parsons Pike JUL 2014 005resize.jpg
    Parsons Pike JUL 2014 005resize.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Parsons Pike JUL 2014 001resize.jpg
    Parsons Pike JUL 2014 001resize.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Parsons Pike JUL 2014 003resize.jpg
    Parsons Pike JUL 2014 003resize.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 238
Hi chris, sure looks like a 220 cubic inch dagenham ford. The serial # is usually behind the injection pump where the head meets the block stamped into a pad & starts with "s" remove the side cover (simms) and push the rack left and right to see if it is free. Also turn the pump by hand and see if the plungers move up and down . I have the feeling one is stuck up and holding the rack in idle, e699 cl5 is the part # of the bracket holding the pump. Charlie w

Hi chris, sure looks like a 220 cubic inch dagenham ford. The serial # is usually behind the injection pump where the head meets the block stamped into a pad & starts with "s" remove the side cover (simms) and push the rack left and right to see if it is free. Also turn the pump by hand and see if the plungers move up and down . I have the feeling one is stuck up and holding the rack in idle, e699 cl5 is the part # of the bracket holding the pump. Charlie w

Well Charlie you are right and thanks.

I started by removing the fuel filter in case of contamination, cleaned the bowl and refitted it. Removed the side cover off the pump and it was not a pretty sight, muck, rust and generally all that would be expected after little or no use for around a year. Checked with torch and mirror and not much movement from the push rack or plungers. WD40 and lots of it to the rescue and cleaned all the moving parts after a good long soak.
I was about to check the injectors when the 'boss' said why not give it a try !!! :rolleyes: Well you have to do these things so I pressed the starter and it fired within about 1 revolution and proceeded to purr like it has for many years.:D
Delighted, understatement. It was also running smoke free while using the cleaner and when it went onto diesel smoked again. Obviously dirty and old fuel I don't think I have bought any for in excess of 5 years so next job is to empty the fuel tank clean it if needed and but some decent fresh stuff.

Thanks for all of the help I am very grateful. Chris/G

Chris, glad to hear everything is ok. Did you know that the injection pump has motor oil in it which should be changed every engine oil change ??? Most owners didn't realize the i.p. Had it's own oil sump.
Charlie w.

Back