Logo

Help!!! '98 Mariner 50 hp elpt replacement carbs

Booth

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum so go easy on me! :eek: Anyways, I recently bought a '98 Mariner 50elpt 4 stroke motor for dirt cheap. The reason it was so cheap was because the carburetors had been pulled off to troubleshoot problems with another motor, but were never replaced. I figured I got a heck of a deal, and could simply buy new or used carbs. Well, I have come to realize that those carbs (4 of them) are no longer produced/obsolete, and are rare to find used. Maybe my Mariner was cheap for a reason... :confused:

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows of other carburetors that can be used from different motors? Did mercury perhaps make a similar motor with similar carbs that are still produced or more common? Maybe someone out there happens to have the carburetors I am looking for?

I'm hoping that I didn't get duped on this purchase, and really wish I would have done a little more research before I purchased it (but it was just such a good deal :rolleyes:).

Cant wait to hear from y'all!

Update

Hey again! So I have been continuing my research on a carb replacement for my motor. I ended up stumbling across something that I really hope will help me. I recently discovered that Yamaha and Mercury did a joint venture in production of the 4 stroke motors in the late 90's / early 2000's. I am still not sure if the 50 elpt 4s was a model that was shared with yamaha. Even if it is, would the yamaha carbs would work for me?

Anyways, I am really hoping on of you can help point me in the right direction soon! :)

Last edited:
The 40, 50 and 60 horse Merc and Merc/Mariners are totally a Merc product. They were designed by Merc and built in their plant in China.

So no, not part of the venture with Yamaha (which only included 2 stroke engines). The 4 stroke joint venture was with and continues to be with Tohatsu who builds ALL the Merc and Merc/Mariner 4 strokes "below" 40 horses (also shared the engineering on the DFI line - Optimax/Merc and TLDI/Tohatsu models).

It seems you have picked up an "orphan" and the value in the motor might be to disassemble it and sell the working parts off to others looking to keep theirs working.

Oh man, now we have opened a can of worms! I definitely don't want to scrap my motor, but I will if its my only option. Does anyone else want to weigh in on where/ how to get carbs for this motor?

Back