Logo

2008 Bayliner 3.0 Merc stern drive... First time owner.... Recommendations please...

Tomcatmc5

* Recommendations on the trim angle for slow speed and planing speed.
* I was told by previous owner to run the blower for 15 minutes for every hour of operation due to the engine not wanting to shut down. This should not be the norm right?
* Do you check the oil in an inboard?If so, where?
* I have some flex hoses attached under the cowling... Are they supposed to be one hose or should they have separate openings on the ends?
* If there is a link to this kind of knowledge can someone attach it?

I don't want to take it to the water without the knowledge. This is my first inboard.

Thanks in advance,
TC

- When you are ready to plane the boat, the trim should be completely in the "in" position....all the way down. And unless in shallow water, trim should be all the way down as well.
- Blower should be ran approx 5 minutes before starting ( I run mine 2 or 3 minutes ), then when your planed, blower should be turned off. Your boat has vents to bring fresh air in and get any fumes out....when underway....planed that is.
- Yes, you check the oil. Dipstick is on starboard side on engine, about the center of engine.
- There are two hoses...one to blow fuel fumes out...the other brings fresh air in.
Did the boat come with an owners manual? There really is a great deal to learn and know about...for safety, and for operating and maintaining your I/O. You should be able to goggle such info if it didn't come with your boat.

Thanks a ton... I found the owners manual.

Now these two hoses should not have a tear or a split in them correct? I have two hoses, one on each side, but each one has a tear which makes it appear that there are four hoses in the engine compartment.

I am guessing these should be one solid hose on each side and not two hoses with splits in them to make them look like four hoses? Is this correct? If so, I need to have these hoses replaced.

- When you are ready to plane the boat, the trim should be completely in the "in" position....all the way down. And unless in shallow water, trim should be all the way down as well.
- Blower should be ran approx 5 minutes before starting ( I run mine 2 or 3 minutes ), then when your planed, blower should be turned off. Your boat has vents to bring fresh air in and get any fumes out....when underway....planed that is.
- Yes, you check the oil. Dipstick is on starboard side on engine, about the center of engine.
- There are two hoses...one to blow fuel fumes out...the other brings fresh air in.
Did the boat come with an owners manual? There really is a great deal to learn and know about...for safety, and for operating and maintaining your I/O. You should be able to goggle such info if it didn't come with your boat.

Trim all the way down to get on plane, once on plane trim up to get bow up and gain speed.
Note: you should have a " trailer" button and a "trim" button. Trailer lifts the drive up all the way, very fast.
NEVER start boat or operate boat with drive all the way up! Only use it when the boat is off, beaching it or on the trailer.
The "trim" button should only go up so far then stop, you can set this with your trim limit switch on the outdrive.
Test this on the trailer out of the water.

there should be a dipstick, I think left side facing the front of engine.
blower is to exhaust the fumes that may build up, not fir cooling the engine. I guess it would exhaust some of the heat, but that's not what it's designed for.
turn it on for a minute before starting the engine.

My 3.0 runs at 145 all day long, everyday.

Not sure what you mean by "flex hose" some hoses have ribs in them, should be all one piece.

also, NEVER start the engine when it is out of the water! You can buy "muffs" that you attach to water hose for $10
When you are hooked up to water hose, don't rev more than 1500 RPM. ( water hose can't keep up )
get a manual, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Back