Logo

Thanks to Joe, Kim and Bill

fxgardner

I would like to thank Joe, Kim and Bill for answering my questions about the problems I was having with my motor. I received valuable information from all of them that I was able to use to fix my motor and now she's purring like a kitten. Now I just have to figure out why the throttle is so stiff I can barely move it. Guess I'll start disassembling stuff until I get to the root of the problem.

I would like to thank Joe, Kim and Bill for answering my questions about the problems I was having with my motor. I received valuable information from all of them that I was able to use to fix my motor and now she's purring like a kitten. Now I just have to figure out why the throttle is so stiff I can barely move it. Guess I'll start disassembling stuff until I get to the root of the problem.

I for one appreciate those kind words. Your present problem... start by disconnecting the throttle cable from the engine, then rechecking the stiffness.

If still stiff after disconnecting cables from motor check the friction knob on your control box. Still stiff then disconnect cables inside control box. If that fixes it then one or both cables is bad. If not then something is gunked up or broken inside control box.

Joe, this is a 25 HP tiller outboard. There is no control box, just a twist throttle tiller handle.

Unfortunately that could be anything from a jammed handle grip to a sticking timer base/armature plate under the flywheel... going to be a exploring process.

My bad...assumed control box. If tiller then d/c everything and observe where's a its binding. Its all mechanical just see where it's bound up.

My bad...assumed control box. If tiller then d/c everything and observe where's a its binding. Its all mechanical just see where it's bound up.

Well Joe, I started from each end and worked to the middle. Removed the Control Lever #37 and spring#81, then removed the Grip and sleeve #97 & #98. All seems to be free but I can't get the screw out of the gear end of the Gear shaft assembly to get to parts # 82 and #83 which is where the problem seems to be. Gonna try again today.

Back