Logo

1987 Mercruiser 3.0 died and wont refire

bnewcomb

Ive replaced the coil and the spark plugs and it started for a minute and then died again and will not fire again Im out of ideas

the points are what make the coil fire a spark,
Do you have 12v at the + side of the coil? Do you have a lanyard switch(man overboard)?

I have power to the + side of the coil and I thought about the deadman switch and hard wired it for the time being just to make sure it wasnt the switch

do the points open and close when you crank the motor, is the gap correct.018 or a paper match book.disconnect the grey wire at the coil. a bad tack will kill spark

I am new to this forum, and not exactly how to post a new question for the forum. I am having a similar issues with my 1976 MeriCruiser, mine also does not seem to be getting fire at all. I've replaced the coil, plugs, bypassed the lanyard, and just today purchased a new ignition switch that my hubby disconnected the old one, and has No clue how it goes back. He's going blind and really should have just left it alone to start with, but he didn't. Is there anyone who can help me with the wiring for a 3 wire prong type ignition switch, on a 1976 Mark Twain boat, that has a Black, White, and Blue wire. The switch itself is marked BAT, IGN, and SOL. LOL I'm afraid of what the SOL may truly stand for in our case. Also, I will continue to follow this post and attempt to follow the suggestions given to bnewcomb so hopefully mine too will be up, and running soon. Thank you.

You really should start your own post with your own issues,plus your post wont get lost in his.
those colors dont match anything in the wiring books so somebody did some type of rewiring.
Using a test light with one side connected to the neg of the battery, locate the 12v feed wire, that goes to "B" post
a smaller yellow or yellow with a red tracer is the solenoid and that goes to "S".
The main ign system uses a purple wire and that goes to "I"
UntitledW1_zps64a9fdfd.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You for the info Bt Doctur. We should be able to easily get it hooked back up with the info you provided. How exactly do I start a New Post, I don't see anywhere on my page to do that. Thank You

Thank You for the info Bt Doctur. We should be able to easily get it hooked back up with the info you provided. How exactly do I start a New Post, I don't see anywhere on my page to do that. Thank You
When you click on Mercruiser Sterndrive Forum, look on the slightly upper left hand side of the page. Should see a place to click that indicates "Start New Thread". Click on that, lets you create a new thread/topic.

Back