Logo

89 johnson 50 lower unit bad?

budsterjames

Was Traveling almost wide open, 30mph when it popped out of gear. Now nothing , no forward, no reverse..nothing. Any tips on what to check for? Thanks alot

In neutral, turn the prop in a slow spinning action to get the feel of the resistance, then while spinning it, have someone put the engine in gear, either gear, doesn't matter.

If the prop still spins BUT the resistance has increased slightly, the problem is usually a sheared driveshaft.

Dropping the lower unit and removing the water pump would prove or disprove that suspicion.

When my son put it in gear while spinning it has plenty of resistance even turned motor over a bit, but it kinda feels like it jumps gear then catches again. Sheared drive shaft? I most likely need to pull lower unit . I do some wrenching on cars and stuff but never took apart an outboard. Is this a difficult job? Thanks for your help

Your initial post states that the engine popped out of gear then hads no reverse or forward... nothing.

Now you say that it feels like it jumps gear then catches again. <-- This would not be a sheared driveshaft.

Back