Logo

Inline 4 mercruiser 170

Jkeadle

My engine bogs down like it is running out of gas when it is in gear and has a load on the boat. It runs fine when it's not in the water.

This site has a number of posts on this engine. Start w/compression test, check distributor advance weights for rust.

My engine bogs down like it is running out of gas when it is in gear and has a load on the boat. It runs fine when it's not in the water.
has the boat ben sitting up for a while ? I bought an old boat at an auction in April and it had been setting for at least 2 years -I replaced the water pump impeller and cleaned out the tank and fuel line - it fired right up (4cyc 150hp) 1965 model I put it on the water and it idled fine and would run up to about 1200 RPM then when I tried to accelerate it would bog and die - started right back up easy - I figured the jets were dirty and pulled the Rochester 2 barrel and put a kit in it - jets were dirty -carb looked like kit was fairly new but I redid it all as I have done many carbs over the years - runs great now - I would check the carb jets if it has been sitting if you have been running and it just started I would look for fuel filter problems next

Back