Logo

1985 Mercury 60hp regretfully starts and leaks fuel

Andrew Large

Hi

i have the above motor stored for 2 seasons, now getting it up and running. Changed gear oil, impeller and plugs. Had it going well on muffs, but decided to use the quicksilver power tune to clean it out. With the remainder in the can I removed carbs and stripped an sprayed around then blasted with air. That went well although I forgot the number of turns on the needle screw so done it to where I thought it was before. That worked fine and I cleared out the remaining power tune as per the instructions. until I tried to start it today (2 days after use) and it wouldn't start unless I gave quite a bit of throttle and even then wasn't happy. Noticed a load of fuel coming out of the bottom hole circled in pic. Do I need just a gasket kr for carb (7004), also should I get the fuel pump gasket too? It didn't look bad and neither did the carbs but I something is going wrong!

many thanks

andrew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 59
That hole leads directly to the fuel bowl, and it's flooding. You'll need to mess with the needle and seat.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

I removed the carb and noticed the seat wasn't screwed in quite right. Got it screwed in properly and lowered / raised the float valve, noticed that the needle had a tendancy to stick when lowering the float after having it fully raised - almost like the needle is getting wedged in there. Any way I have put it back together and it doesnt flood anymore when pumping the fuel bulb. However it will only start now when giving some throttle where as before it would start without.

Is it worth changing the gaskets and fuel pump diaphragm? It all seemed ok but then I guess it only takes a minuscule leak to affect these things.

Also as I don't remember where the idle valve needles were screwed to what I have done is undone the top carb (counter clock wise) and screwed it in (clock wise) until it stops idling rough. Although I think from what I have read means I have come from the lean side and should have screwed it in fully and undone 1/4 turn until it idles nicely. This would put it coming from the rich side and therefore no risk of damaging the engine? I don't have a tach installed so can't tell what is 600rpm or should be the base idle for 1985 3 cylinder 60hp. Is there anyway using a multi-meter I could guesstimate rpm?

I take it the bottom carb only comes in to play when in gear and as such I can only adjust when on the water?

Thanks again :)

Andrew

Well I have got it starting normally on land, just need to refurb the trailer, get the fuel / carb gasket kits and then I will be able to test in the water.

Thanks everyone :)

Back