Logo

1975 Evinrude 135 carburetor adjustment questions

Progator135

Regular Contributor
Slowly getting all the bugs worked out of my recently purchased 135hp. Need to know the rundown of the carb settings at idle, should the butterflies be fully closed at idle or open a tiny bit? Ive heard conflicting stories from different people. Also the roller on the butterflies is about 1/8" from the cam, however the heavy mark on the cam is lined up perfect with it. when the timing advances fully, the cam comes just into contact with it, then further throttle starts to open them up. Is that right or should they open a little as the timing advances? And The book say timing should be set at 20* at WOT but Ive read some posts saying this motor should be set at 28*. Where should I be? By the way the clutch dog flip worked great -- (for now). Waiting on new coils to come on the mail...was showing weak spark on a couple cylinders. and the coils on it look as old as the motor and the filler material on the side is all gooey and coming out. one was cracked al the way across etc.. So just replacing all 4. Anyway thanks for any words of advice on carb setup/timing.

So the cam and roller is good with the gap? and should they be opening some as the timing advances with the first 1/2 of throttle travel..or staying closed? If I advance somewhat slowly..say full travel in about 6 seconds.. itll bog out..Im having to work the throttle back and forth a little to get it to come alive. Just wondering if this could be the issue. OR the timing...is it 20°? (and carbs are clean as a pin and brand new fuel pump) and I probably shouldn't even be worried about it till I get my new coils on it but I still wanna know the proper setup.

Back