Logo

Hard to shift from neutral to reverse and forward-have new cables

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
I put both cables new and without connecting the throttle linkage they glide super smooth. Once I connect linkage, it is hard to shift. I can drive boat, but difficult to shift,especially going back into neutral from forward. I think I have the cables properly adjusted, but could there be some issues with shifting rods (corrosion/bushings)?? I had an issue last week with engine cover release and thought it was the cables, I ended up removing linkage and cleaning all salt residue and then it worked fine..kinda wondering if I could have a similar issue?

Last edited:
remove cable from linkage and shift gear liver fwd- neutral- revers by hand(engine stop may be you have to turn the prop also),can you feel any hard shifting ?

your idle rpm ok (600-700) ?

wajira

its bit hard but not too much you can shift by hand. when you feel it is too hard to shift from forward to neutral probably rpm is high. check throttle cable free play. after route the throttle cable their should be free slack on the cables end.

If you doubt about shift rod just slip down gear box and see ?

tro.jpg in neutral position both the cables are should not tight. and throttle cam should stay fully closed. if not adjust it, and after adjust make sure to check full open also.

So I compared the port motor to starboard with shift cables off and it was significantly harder to move the linkage. I applied some deep creep to the shift rod and started working the linkage, it freed up quite a bit. So I am going to continue to lube it up. I have not put cables back on it,I ran out of time today

Back