Logo

1960 75hp Quick Question about Prop Shaft

smartin1970

Hello, I'm new here and have a some questions about my 1960 75hp Super Sea Horse. I just acquired this motor with a 1960 Sangstercraft 17' and the previous owner had removed the lower unit and apparently checked all the gears in it. It was reinstalled when I got it. The engine has not run in at least 15 years, so I sprayed the inside the head to free up the pistons(the pull was extremely difficult, and no battery to test electric start).

While turning the flywheel by hand, if i put the motor in gear, the prop shaft doesnt seem to be turning(yes the pin is in the prop)... is this normal? The prop shaft does turn about a 1/4 turn by hand in gear then stops when it hits the shift lever assy. The prop in neutral turns quite nicely, and there are no noises when doing so, so I'm suspecting that the gears are not stripped, but I don't know.

I will be going over the engine to check all the seals and gaskets, but this is my first outboard rebuild, and am waiting for service manual to arrive. I'm extremely proficient with motors, as I grew up with a mechanic father, and have rebuilt several car motors, but not sure whether or not the behaviour of the prop in gear is normal when turning the flywheel by hand.

Am I missing something?

Also got a 1959 50hp Sea Horse as a spare, but it is seized up tight... not going to even touch that one right now. Some parts are interchangeable, so I do have spares on hand for several things if needed.

Thanks in advance...

Back