Logo

2005 4.3 litre not turning over

David Lloyd

Hello all. Thanks in advance.

My 2005 Tahoe 4.3l is not even cranking. I can hear the solenoid clicking and hear what sounds like perhaps the start spinning but not engaging?? This happened intermittently last year. I assumed the problem was either the battery and/or the wires not providing enough juice due to the charging and cleaning of the wires and terminals appeared to work. I had no issue starting it for winterizing in the fall. Unfortunately I can't seem to get anything going this year.

Am I looking at a new starter or could I have further electrical issues? How can I tell? Sadly I believe the only way to change the starter is to pull the motor ($$$$).

Thanks again

mercury uses a slave solenoid before the starter and starter solenoid.

These slave solenoids do fail often.

find the salve solenoid it will have a large red and a large yellow with red stripe and a small black and small yellow with red stripe wires going to it.

once you find this if you know how to activate a solenoid then test it if not ask and we can explain.

If you can hear the starter spin but no engagement into the flywheel then your bendix is bad in the starter. I can't imagine you would have to pull the engine to replace the starter it is on the starboard side. I pulled my starter off my 4.3, was it tricky to get off? yes but I did not have to pull the engine.

Back