Logo

1999 Johnson 50hp will not shut down

Danny Wheeler

Ok I bought this Lowe pontoon boat yesterday. We have no boat mechanics for 145 miles. I pulled plugs fogged cylinders. Pulled carbs cleaned them. Cleaned tank and replaced the fuel lines. New battery. Cranked up on first kick of the key runs great now the bad I cannot get the engine to shut off. I disconnected the battery. Pulled the kill switch I even pulled the wire from the kill switch off the ignition switch and it keeps on going. I finally pulled the fuel line off and let it run out of gas. I do have a hose running water at medium pressure. Water pump works. Any ideas how to fix this. I probed the kill switch with my multi meter that beeps when wires have a good connection and weather the kill switch is engaged or disengaged all wires beep so it seems they are all connected all the time. But I thought if I took that black wire off the ignition that would break the chain. This is my first boat any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Never (NEVER) run the engine without the battery as that may damage the charging circuit rectifier.

Removing the black/yellow wire from the "M" terminal simply engages (allows) the ignition. The ignition shuts down by being shorted to ground. The ignition is self contained and does not require a battery... however the battery is obviously needed for the charging system.

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back