Danny O

Boat info:
2004 Rinker Captiva 232BR
5.0L MPI Bravo 3 Dual Prop
Engine Serial #: OM648919
Drive Serial#: OM190986
TransomSerial#: OM591693
290 hours on hour meter.

Hello all, long post...sorry...and thanks in advance for any help you can provide....

We were using the boat over the 4th of July weekend when it gave one beep and shut down. Engine cranks but no restart. After it sits for a few hours it will start and run ok for roughly 5 minutes then one beep and shuts down, cranks fine, but no restart again until it sits.

Original shut down happened while just cruising at about 3200 rpm, just enough to stay on plane, ( water was a little choppy due to wind and other boat traffic and we had just crossed over a much larger boats wake so it was a little rough). No indications of any overheating or loss of oil pressure. Always restarts if you wait long enough but always shuts down again in the same fashion. On trailer when it is restarted on the muffs and water hose I am able to shift to both forward and reverse with no problems. Oil pressure shows 40 PSI on the dash gauge (no knocking or rattling) and the water temp gauge never got above 160. (No temp reading on the muffs as it won't run long enough to get warm. Plenty of water coming out exhaust(s), through drive and/or through hull exhaust. Drive oil bottle is full.

What I have done so far to trouble shoot: ( I am very familiar with fuel injection operation and troubleshooting)..even though I forgot to bring a meter home....:0)

Bought a Seloc repair manual, downloaded the wiring diagrams.
Checked each and every sensor for loose connections, broken wires etc....unplugged and replugged all the sensors. No change.

Read up in a lot of different forums on similar problems...while boat is low hours (290) and seems to have been well maintained, it is 10 years old, I bought it used and know nothing about exactly how it has been serviced so I decided to perform some maintenance/parts swapping. Since the manual says the sea water pump should be rebuilt every 300 hours of 3 years I ordered a rebuild kit (Impeller and O ring) pulled pump and replaced the impeller. (old impeller was fine). Since the floor was pulled up for access to the pump I also decided to replace the Crank Position Sensor and Engine Coolant Sensor (RockAuto.com carries some Mercruiser sensors and parts at much more reasonable prices.) Changing those has NOT fixed the problem. Also went ahead and changed the fuel filter/water separator. Tried changing the inline filter but the Mercruiser filter's threads don't match any filter (Purolater Filter F33144 was mention in another forum but it has different thread pitch and does not fit) I could get at any of the major parts chains so I put the old one back on, as it wasn't clogged anyway. I have a Throttle Position Switch and Idle Air Control motor coming. Only senors left are the MAP Sensor and the OIL Safety Pressure Switch and Water Pressure Switch. (I know I am playing parts swapper but being 10 years old I just decided to update it all.) If Mercruiser would have made it so you could pull codes like in a car wit a REGULAR scan tool or even an LED this wouldn't be happening...thanks for screwing your customers Mercruiser...GRRR!!!

While we are on that subject, does anyone know a way to make the MPI system flash codes with an LED, similar to the older EFI vehicles used to do on the dash lights?

I unplugged and jumpered out the safety lanyard switch circuit (two purple wires)...no help.

I left my meter in my truck/tow vehicle (stupid me) so at the moment I don't have a way to measure any voltages but I will update later when I do.

I saw this on another forum:
NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.
I'll check that later but was curious if anyone has experienced this.

Beyond having NOT measured voltages have I missed something?

Any other information I can provide please ask.

Thanks

Danny

I have. If the five volt system goes down the engine will go down.

You can check the low voltage system at the TPS when this happens.

A lot of the time it's the transom harness.

Chris, thanks for the reply and the info on the transom harness. I won't have my meter until tomorrow evening so at that time I plan on checking voltages. I have printed out the 3 schematics for the transom harness that I have from Seloc. I'm going to go out now and take a look at the harness, familiarize myself with it, and see if visually to see if anything sticks out as bad.

Thanks again

Danny

Chris/all...
I went out and identified the Transom Harness Connector ...Starboard rear of the engime. The connector has a "blanking plug" inserted in it so no power or signals flow through it. Tomorrow when I have my meter I will pin the connector for continuity or shorts back to the corresponding pins on connector "B" (Pins 1, 8, 12, 21). I see where the power and ground flow through splices so maybe one of those is bad. Then look for voltage at each 5v sensor before I start the engine and then again if and after it shuts down again. I'll post what I find.... if anything.

Thanks again...

Danny

ok... a quick update...been tied up with other things the last few nights but managed to get in the boat tonight with a meter and start checking wires/sensors/voltages etc..
(note...Using the .PDF files for all the wiring diagrams I have made myself nice large printouts of all the wiring diagrams especially the main wiring diagram...24"X20" with room to make notes on the print...computer technology for this is SWEET!!!...I highly recommend this..... anyway I digress.."

So far I have replaced the Crank Position sensor (CPS), the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT), idle speed motor (IAC), Throttle position sensor(TPS). (read my initial post about problems for reasons why)... i have not tried to restart it since the TPS and IAC motor were replaced.

I decided to start with the 5 volt side first due to time constraints tonight ....I have NOT tried to start the engine tonight...I wanted to get baseline measurements before it shuts down.
Key Off Engine OFF....all sensors have 5.2 volts supplied to them..this includes the MapT sensor, Throttle Position, Oil Pressure safety switch, sea pump pressure switch, and at the Transom Harness Connector...Key off and sensors unplugged, and the "B" connector unplugged at the processor, I measured about 3.x ohms on the 5V+ (gray wire, pin 21 on the "B' connector) and 5v- (Black and Purple wire, pin 1 on "B" connector) at each sensor. I also noticed that with the Key on Engine OFF., any sensor I unplugged gave two beep alarm...it would repeat at about 1 minute intervals...this tells me that the processor is "SEEING" each sensor and knows when it is unplugged and out of circuit.

I believe this initial data shows no reason for the shut down. So over the next few days I will post more info as I get it....if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions or tips/hints please let me know.
Now some question on theory of operation:
At the moment I can't understand the time factor in this ...as in it will run "x" number of minutes (I don't have an exact number but will have a stop watch the next time I start it to see how long) before it shuts down. One question I have is what parameter does the engine control system use to switch from open loop to closed loop operation? Does the control system work that way?
Question for Chris from Dockside Marine if I may...Could you be more specific with the comment about "A lot of the time it's the transom harness." Can/would you explain that a little more? The Transom Harness on this boat has a Blanking plug or cover in/on it and does not supply or receive any input or voltage. If they go bad in what way? I measured 5.2 vol ts at pin 1 an2 in the connector. Tried wiggling it and no change....same when checking continuity back to the processor(ECM).

In short, key on engine off...fuel pump cycles, 1 beep from monitor system, 5.2 Volts at each sensor, key off engine off, no shorts or opens in the 5v system...so far

Thoughts?

Thanks
Danny

Chris, thanks for the quick reply...I am busy most of the next few days with other things so I'll post what i find as I can. 12v system baseline measurements next...then start it up an wait for it to quit and start the process of elimination to see where it is losing power.

A thought about the shutdown...as I mentioned about KOEO test where the alarm sounds 1 beep (all is normal) and the fuel pump cycles....when the shut down occurs you get 1 beep (like 12v power is being lost or cycled) and the engine shuts off...engine cranks no start....cycle the key and one beep and fuel pump cycles normally...still no start...I am going be looking closely at where the 12v is available and where it isn't ...before and after the main power relay....

thanks again

Chris, thanks for the quick reply...I am busy most of the next few days with other things so I'll post what i find as I can. 12v system baseline measurements next...then start it up an wait for it to quit and start the process of elimination to see where it is losing power.

A thought about the shutdown...as I mentioned about KOEO test where the alarm sounds 1 beep (all is normal) and the fuel pump cycles....when the shut down occurs you get 1 beep (like 12v power is being lost or cycled) and the engine shuts off...engine cranks no start....cycle the key and one beep and fuel pump cycles normally...still no start...I am going be looking closely at where the 12v is available and where it isn't ...before and after the main power relay....

thanks again

I would measure the low voltage system first after the engine shuts down.

Success....I think...I found and repaired two things....Throttle position sensor was "open" no reading internally across resistor. Also found loose connectors in the TPS connector itself. Was able to carefully "squeeze" them down for a good connection the new TPS . However that was NOT the cause of the stall and no start. What I finally believe I nailed it down too is a cracked 20 amp fuse for the circuit that supplies 12volts to the ignition coil, injectors etc....when I did the initial inspection for loose wires/connectors, blown fuses etc.... I thought I saw a crack in that fuse but using an ohm meter it [FONT=&quot]always[/FONT] has continuity although it was a little higher than the other fuses. I assumed that differences in my connection point on the fuse itself not the crack since it always had continuity. I assumed it was not a crack and moved on. I worked my way through the system and 5 volts was always at each sensor. However 12 volts was not always at the coil or injectors. However it was always at that fuse point. Last night (Sunday evening) after I had sorted out the TPS issues the boat started and ran for about 40 minutes on the trailer on the muffs and water hose. No issues at all. restarted numerous times. I was happy thinking it was fixed. Tonight...no start right off the bat. Looked for 5volts...it is at all sensors...checked for 12volts at coil and injectors...nope...hmmmm...back to the fuse for that circuit...12 volts supplied, no 12volts out...checked fuse...shows continuity...reinstalled...no volts out....no start....checked connector with fuse out...continuity.....fuse in no 12volts out....reexamined fuse...looks cracked...tests good....replaced fuse with another fuse...12 volts at all points...engine starts runs great...restarts...no problem....damn fuse...so right now I believe it's fixed...I'll try it tomorrow night and if it starts and runs ok then I am ready to take it out....

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement Throttle Position Sensor [FONT=&quot]connector...[/FONT]since the sockets in the connector itself were loose I would like to replace that connector.

More tomorrow night...good or bad

thanks

Danny

Back