Logo

How to test the solenoid on a 25 HP 1980 Evinrude Model E25TECSA ?

fxgardner

The push button starter will not do anything when pressed. I have tested it and the starter button is good. If I disconnect the wire that runs from the button to the small terminal on the solenoid, from that terminal, and touch it to the large post on the solenoid, and press the button, the starter works. My question is, Does this mean that the solenoid is bad? It still works when I hot wire the large terminals.

Your explanation is confusing. However, if the solenoid kicks in and the electric starter engages, the solenoid would have to be okay.

Taking a wild guess, I think that what you're doing is removing the "white" wire from the 3/8" terminal of the solenoid, then touching the large solenoid terminal that the battery positive cable is attached to. If so... the solenoid is okay.

The problem would be that you are not obtaining 12 volts to that "white" wire when the start button is pressed in. Either the button is faulty or that white wire has a break in it somewhere.

Thanks for the input. The factory wire was yellow with a red stripe spiraling around it. It was frayed at the point where goes into the back of the starter button mechanism. Re-attaching it made it too short to reach the terminal on the solenoid. I replaced it with a longer white wire (don't have yellow). When I re-attach it to the small terminal on the solenoid, same as it was from the factory, nothing happens when I press the starter button. I take it loose from the small terminal on the solenoid, and touch it to the negative large terminal on the solenoid.(Not the positive as you said you guessed I was doing) I push the starter button and "bingo", I have ignition. So, I am getting sufficient voltage through the new white wire. Could the one small terminal on the solenoid be bad? I could just hook it to the large terminal and be done with it, but that is not the way it should be. Bye-the-way, I can also start the engine by jumping the two large terminals on the solenoid. Thanks again for your input.

I found my problem. The wire from one of the small terminals to the safety switch was completely corroded to pieces inside it's sheath where I couldn't see it.. Thanks everyone!

Back